Stupid Question - Two Bikes, One Rider

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

katew

Stupid Question - Two Bikes, One Rider

Post by katew »

So, I can't believe this was so hard.

I picked up my roadie at the shop last night, which was all a great plan until I realized that I had taken myself to the shop on my commuter. Bike.

I didn't think it was a really big deal, because I had seen Real Cyclists tootling along casually, riding one bike, pushing another. Except when I set up to go, I found myself all in a panic because I couldn't get going and up on the saddle with one hand holding the other bike. It was like I was five all over again.

In the end (and if I find out you told anybody this, I'm going to be Really Mad), I had to go to a side street, prop the roadie up on the curb, and take a running start at it, grabbing the stem as I went by. Bike(s) and I wobbled the rest of the way home, and I have to tell you, the left turn when I hooked the commuter's bars with the roadie was, um, exciting.

When I got home, I suddenly had the opposite problem and had to ride up and down the block with the bikes until I found a dog walker. "Hey," I yelled. "Can you help me?" She nodded, bewildered. "Catch this bike!" ...and I rolled the roadie to her, stopped, took it from her with thanks, and waltzed into the house like I knew what I was doing. :oops:

Surely there's a better way. What is it?
kateweber.com
jeremy

Re: Stupid Question - Two Bikes, One Rider

Post by jeremy »

I went through the same thing, with one little difference, when my commuter bars hit my roadie bars they locked together and causing me to have a glorious low speed crash in which I bashed my shin pretty bad causing it to bleed pretty good. But instead of "giving up" and walking the two bikes home I gave it another try and with in a couple of blocks got the groove down and rode the rest of the way home.
Current Winter Gloating point amount - 16730 (and counting)
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

It works better if you treat the second bike as an outrigger (or a crutch), not a trailer. That is, don't pull the second bike along with you, lean on it (while holding the stem) for support. I think this change in perspective will help.

JT
katew

Post by katew »

JohnT wrote:It works better if you treat the second bike as an outrigger (or a crutch), not a trailer. That is, don't pull the second bike along with you, lean on it (while holding the stem) for support. I think this change in perspective will help.
This makes perfect sense. Thank you!
kateweber.com
norman marcy

Post by norman marcy »

I agree with John T do this frequently can lean on the other bike and with brakes on the one you are riding forms a tripod, sort of, and you can get up on the saddle still without moving then take off the brake and role out same in reverse when you get home stop , using rear brake lean on the ourtrigger bike and off you get.

a strong left wrist is also helpful in making sure your outrigger bike is not wobbling al over the place

Norman
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Just did this from gorge road when we recovered Una's stolen bike. I found it easier to tilt the passenger bike to direct it, versus 'steering' it.

Had some excitement when the passenger bike hit a big pothole and bounced way out of line. Had to just hold it up in the air till the swinging slowed down. Definitely thankful for the upper body weights this winter.

Great at traffic lights though.

It's a good bike body separation drill eh Kate? Maybe I'll put that in the skills course.:)
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4