Garmin Edge 500 or 800???

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

Jimmy

Garmin Edge 500 or 800???

Post by Jimmy »

Opinions? I know the main difference being navi and about $200. Who's using them and any advice you can share from your experience?
sylvan

Re: Garmin Edge 500 or 800???

Post by sylvan »

I've had the 500 for about a year and a half and it's been great. I like shiny new things but I'm not too tempted to upgrade to the 800. The navigation would be good but I always have an iPhone with me so I just use it if I need to do any mapping. Touch screen, meh. The 500 has barometric altitude and it's been a good head unit for my Powertap so I'm a happy camper. If I needed to replace the 500 I guess the 800 would be tempting, but with what I know about the 500 from experience I'd probably get another one and spend the extra $200 on other gear.
spearson

Post by spearson »

500 for training and races. 800 if you plan to take your bike on a lot of vacations.
bikehart

Post by bikehart »

The 800 is also very useful if you are using it off road, for mt biking, xcountry skiing, hiking etc. It will also give you turn by turn directions if you have loaded the right map.

If you are a map geek/orienteerer there are all kinds if open source topo / trail maps you can load onto the 800.

I also carry a smart phone but it is not anywhere near as durable or accurate as the 800 which is usually covered in mud and always wet. And the battery has a long life I only have to charge the 800 once every couple of weeks.

Hugh
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Interesting.... Sounds like they both work well for training but the weight might be a factor for racing. (?)
Conversely, for away rides and/or other activities, the 800 would be very handy. Hummm....
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

that sums it up - if you're riding local in areas you know, the 800 is wasted and you can put the $200 saved towards other toys. I love my 500. But if you're traveling and wish to download maps, consider the 800.
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

Jimmy wrote:Sounds like they both work well for training but the weight might be a factor for racing. (?)
I think you'd qualify for the weight weenie hall of fame if you'd go with the 500 over 800 because of weight. :lol: The difference is 41.3 grams. One eleventh of a pound. I'm going to stop reading this thread now because I'm starting to want an 800 more.
mlawless

Post by mlawless »

This is just for Sylvan who will not be able to stop reading this forum!

I have the 800 and think it is great. I have only just started to use the mapping function but it is outstanding. I rode the Tantalus climb in Honolulu and it was very useful. Then I did a ride out to Diamond head and beyond to Hanamu (sp?) Bay. It was an excellent tool to keep me from getting lost or (more) confused.

I really do like the colour touch-screen as well.

Sylvan, you are welcome!

Michael
Chris Watt

Post by Chris Watt »

I'm not reading any more of this thread either- and especially not Mike's post. Flat out refuse. I'm not going to read about his ride to Diamond Head. Or his ride to Hanamanamanannaaana Bay.

None of it. I'm done.

So there.

Chris
wonger

Post by wonger »

Chris, clearly this is the place to post my report about the West Maui loop, the Hana Road ride as well as the ride up Haleakela.

All of which were recorded on my Garmin 405 - a good option if you want a wrist watch GPS that is even more portable than the 500/800. Also cheaper.
Brian S

Post by Brian S »

wonger wrote:Chris, clearly this is the place to post my report about the West Maui loop, the Hana Road ride as well as the ride up Haleakela.
Really, do you need a GPS for guidance on any of those rides?
West Maui--go clockwise or counterclockwise. Turn the wrong way? Ocean (its the big wet blue place).. sploosh.
Hana-ouuut and baaaaack, or if the road is OK, see West Maui
Haleakala--up, then down.

Did you need a GPS to watch Sesame St when you were kids? :P
Tutto il rosa della vita
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

wonger wrote:All of which were recorded on my Garmin 405 - a good option if you want a wrist watch GPS that is even more portable than the 500/800. Also cheaper.
$149 for the 405CX at Costco right now, for a limited time only. I'm going to get one of those and a Garmin Edge 800 to take to Maui. Wait, the 910XT has ANT+ and a barometric altimeter. I'm getting that one. All of these units are compatible with the optional Garmin speed/cadence sensor unit.