Caleb Pike – March 18

Moderator: mfarnham

Lund

Caleb Pike – March 18

Post by Lund »

Results are posted. Mighty impressive showing by the Tripleshot gang. I count nine Top-10 finishes...three in A, four in B, two in C. Plus a fourth place finish for Jen in the Women's finishes.

http://duanebc.com/raceresults2012/VCL2 ... _18_12.htm
JohnT

Re: Caleb Pike – March 18

Post by JohnT »

Today went well. After a few break-away attempts early on , I played domestic. I was ready to give up toward the end of the last lap. I chased two guys that were attempting to bridge up to Bruno and then figured my work was done. Almost as soon as I'd started soft-pedaling at the end of the back straight, I got swept up in the rather large surging peloton. Going down the last hill I picked up a strong draft, still at least 15 riders back. One person moved to the right bumping a few others, John Guthrie (IRC) had an unfortunate unclipping on his way up and suddenly I found myself passing loads of people who had hit the brakes. 7th was great, given that 20 seconds earlier I had decided to just follow the pack to the finish.

Bruno (1st), as the photos show (#87 I think), had jumped the B group well before the A's came by. The photos also show he was not with the A's a lap later. I mention this because there was a bit of post-race talk about B's using A's to get ahead. One rider was certainly guilty of this, but not anyone on our team. Brian had a great sprint for 3rd. Brent also had another late race charge into the top ten (6th).

Prior to his successful attack, Bruno and I tried jumping the group on a couple of occasions, but we did it at different times. Next time we'll improve our coordination.

I think Brent leads the B's now. Bruno must be close behind. Brian and I are probably in the top ten overall too. Pretty good start to the season!

One last point: This "Island Race Series" thing has attracted a lot of mid-island racers to Victoria (last week and this week). We should do our best to return the favour and go to the Nanaimo and Comox races that are also part of the series.

JT
AlW

Re: Caleb Pike – March 18

Post by AlW »

Big B group yesterday. Pace felt a little faster than last week but that is to be expected given the much improved conditions (it didn't start snowing until after the race :shock: ).

I felt like I spent the entire trying to move up in the pack. Seemed like every time I got near the front, I would lose focus for a second and find myself at the back again. Gotta work on that in the future.

Managed to stay with the main pack until the final swarm (get it. Bees? :roll:) but got caught up in the bottleneck behind John Guthrie when he unclipped. Fortunately there were no crashes but it certainly added a little more excitement to the finish.