Done to death...?

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

Jimmy

Done to death...?

Post by Jimmy »

I'm sure many are tired of it and everyone has preferrences etc but I have a new set of wheels coming and wondering what tires to get? Of course, I want the best and have varied applications - group rides, racing and a few Granfondos so getting the best at one will compromise other aspects but what works for others???

Schwalbe Ultremo ZX, Bontrager R4, Continental GP4000S, Michelin Pro 3 or new Pro 4

Or something more durable???
AlW

Re: Done to death...?

Post by AlW »

Currently using Michelin Pro 3 Race. CRC had them for a good price ($30) so decided to give them a try. Happy with them so far, but only had them out for 3 or 4 rides, so can't comment on durability.
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

Hey Jimmy,

The tires you mentioned are more on the faster/lighter/less durable end of the scale and are more suited for racing purposes. If you doing all the riding you mentioned I would recommend a more durable (but still good for occasional racing) tire such as the Vittoria Rubino, Michelin Krylion, or Continental Gatorskins.
norman marcy

Post by norman marcy »

gator skins are great but i found them difficult to deal with on the side of the road getting them on and off my rimes (DT Swiss) somewhat difficult however the i have only had on flat using these over two summers.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Thanks and I agree with both of you and would lean towards the more durable tires except it seems a bit defeating to go to a light high tech wheel, skewers etc and then not match them with race tech tires. Perhaps just have to budget for more replacements.... Leaning towards the GP4000S's as a bit of a compromise (?)
beegull

Post by beegull »

I rode on GP4000S's all summer last year and I really liked the way the felt and rode. They made it through the summer without too much trouble and then I started getting fairly frequent flats by September, but if you rotate front and back after a few months you can get decent life out of them.

Like I said, I really did like the grip and the way they rolled, so I'd get them again knowing that they won't last a whole summer of frequent riding.
EricS

Post by EricS »

I agree with Norm. I put a high value on ease of mounting (tires, that is). I love the Schwalbes for that reason. No tire irons needed (with my rims, some rims suck for tire mounting. My wife's DuraAce wheel set needs three people and a team of mules to get tires on them) The Ultremos can be had with various levels of puncture resistance and in the "Aqua" model for the rain. I have been using the aqua this winter, and it grips well, however the rolling resistance is high and it sounds like your riding a mountain bike. I have the ZX's on my summer bike and love them.

Eric
Eric Simonson
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Michelins are my current favourite, but i have older ones (what else? :)). Have the supple feel of good Vittoria's without the cut-o-mile feature. Easy on and off too. No experience with Continentals, and only with cheap schwalbes, but that was good too.

You might also want to consider 25 mm tires.
http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/03/ ... ter_209888
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4