VCL#2 - Caleb Pike 18 Mar

Moderator: mfarnham

Plawless

VCL#2 - Caleb Pike 18 Mar

Post by Plawless »

While I may still have my Irish on in the morning the next VCL race is tomorrow. lets see some more TSC out and remember its like pre-school - stick with a buddy at all times. If you are ever riding and not with a fellow TSCr you are not doing it right.....

Meet at Switch Bridge @ 9:00 for a GENTLE ride out (Ahem - Calgary Steve)

A few folks might meet for coffee first @ 8:15. Last week Cafe Spresso and Fantastico were both closed so we ended up at Starbucks at the Save On centre off Tyee Rd. Same plan tomoorow - start with Fantastico - if its closed try Spresso - then settle for Starbucks.

Looking forward to making a second lap!
JohnT

Re: VCL#2 - Caleb Pike 18 Mar

Post by JohnT »

Funny, that Calgary Steve comment: Riding home from coffee three times a week is the same deal.

See you in the morning at ........ (whatever is open).

JT
Lund

Post by Lund »

Who's this Calgary Steve guy? He sounds like an ass.

I'm 50/50 for the race tomorrow. Back issues. I'll have to see how it feels in the morning.
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

Close. He's not an ass but he sure is strong like a horse! Hope you can make it buddy.

Peter
BearPope Recruit

Post by BearPope Recruit »

I'm in for tomorrow and bringing a buddy. See you at a coffee shop otherwise the switch bridge for sure.

Cheers, Jen
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

I'm in to ride out and cheer!
I've got an obnoxious helmet. It's green.
luke.koolman

Post by luke.koolman »

I will be at the switch back at 9.
Paula

Post by Paula »

when I was asked if I was thinking of doing the Caleb Pike race on Sunday.. I asked? What is Caleb? Where is Caleb?

I have since found out that it is a hilly race in the Highlands... There is an A, B and C race. By looking at the results for last weekends race, I interprete that the A is AA, the B is more like an AB and C, I assume, is more like a B (relative to TS rides) but I haven't been able to find out a lot more than that...

When does it start? How long is it? what is the route? How does it work with A, B and C races? What time would C race? How much is it? How long would one expect to be there for from the start of the races to the end (trying to balance with family time...)

Where does one completely new to this racing stuff find out details about the races? the website for the group that is organizing it does not seem to work (at least when I have tried).

if you can give me more information, it would be much apprecaited.

thanks
Paula
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

I hope the arrives in time. If you're up, go to bed after reading it!

Where is Caleb?

Highlands: #1 north and take the exit for HomeDepot. Then, just keep going. I know that's incomplete, but a Google search should fill in the details and you probably just wanted a general idea.

I have since found out that it is a hilly race in the Highlands... There is an A, B and C race. By looking at the results for last weekends race, I interprete that the A is AA, the B is more like an AB and C, I assume, is more like a B (relative to TS rides) but I haven't been able to find out a lot more than that...

Yup - that's about it as far as fitness is concerned.

When does it start? How long is it? what is the route? How does it work with A, B and C races? What time would C race? How much is it? How long would one expect to be there for from the start of the races to the end (trying to balance with family time...)

10:30 am. Get there by 10am because as it's your first race, you'll need time to read and sign the waiver in addition to registering. You'll also need to get a number (which is pinned to your back). You'll also want to ride a few laps. Maybe 9:45 am would be best. C starts about 30 seconds after B, which starts about 30 seconds after A. It cost $10. Number plate, good for the year, might be an additional $2 (can't remember and it was only 6 days ago!).

Where does one completely new to this racing stuff find out details about the races? the website for the group that is organizing it does not seem to work (at least when I have tried).

Go to the race. We'll show you, and tell you, all you need to know. You'll be a bit nervous about racing. That's normal. So try to make sure other stuff is under control. Tires pumped up. Shoes, helmet, etc. at the front door so there's no chance you'll forget them.

if you can give me more information, it would be much apprecaited.

I hope this helps. Be prepared to get hooked. It can be a bit of an addiction, just like the 6 am rides.

JohnT
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

Also see: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/38730288 for a map. In C its still a C. As for being the first time -all great adventures have to start somewhere......

See you tomorrow!
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

Two last things: No water and no cash machine nearby. So bring an extra bottle (i.e., one for the drive/ride to the race and one for the race) and bring some cash.

JT
AlW

Post by AlW »

A few additions to John's details

- Yes, there is a one time $2 fee for a number. You use the same number all year.

- I believe you need a Cycling BC license (or proof thereof) to race. Details here: http://victoriacyclingleague.wordpress.com/insurance/

- Map/Location of the course: http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Caleb+ ... 1&t=m&z=15

- The sign in area is at the west end of Caleb Pike road, beside the Gowland Todd parking lot. If you are heading north on Millstream, turn left on Caleb Pike and follow it to the end (The "A" on this map: http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=48.509 ... 5&t=m&z=15)
Paula

Post by Paula »

Thanks for the information!

Now why did I try and search for information about the race using google, when you guys are WAY better than google!

See you out there.

(Just in case, don't wait for me at the various meeting spots to ride out, I will be driving out with my pit crew - my partner and son)