How to get more out of your legs before you give up.

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Lister Farrar

How to get more out of your legs before you give up.

Post by Lister Farrar »

Seemed like I saw lots of people today going off the back in the last 5km, before their fitness and strength suggests they should. This is not really a safety or etiquette issue, just some thoughts on making it a little further along in the jam at the end. And if you race, these could make the difference between winning and dnf.

*Be on a wheel. I saw riders, later dropped, leaving gaps earlier
*When you come off the front, ease off or stop pedalling, and get to the back quickly, and start your recovery sooner. Saw several long 'second pulls' alongside the new leader.
* Look over your shoulder on the way to the back. That way you won't get surprised by the last rider going past you, and opening a gap you can't close. Start your re-acceleration when you are side by side with the last rider.
*If you're dropped, and someone comes back for you (you can tell because they are not pedaling and are looking back at you), they are offering to help you get back on. If you just want to curl up in a ball and not keep going, wave them off as they look back, while they can still get back on their group. If you accept, it really helps if you quarterback their effort. Say "steady" if you're cracking, and "I'm good" when they can pick it up again. Take the rest. Let them pull. Do not immediately blow by them. If they are really going too slow, say "I can do a turn". Do not slip silently off their wheel.
* Short pulls, short pulls, short pulls. Mike W did a monster half lap pull to close in on the front half of the b2 group this am, with three of us on his wheel waiting for our turn, got within 50 m, then blew up, we waited, and none of us got on. With 100 m pulls we all would have got on a lap or so later.
* If you're about to crack in a fast pace line, pull out of the line right away so the rider behind you can close the gap. They might not like it, but it's easier for them to close it right away than waiting until the gap opens to something they can't close. And chances are those few seconds recovery as the line behind you goes past you will be enough recovery for you to get on the back.
Last edited by Lister Farrar on Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
wonger

Re: How to get more out of your legs before you give up.

Post by wonger »

Lister you are such an old pro (more pro than old, for the record!). Thanks for the tips - they are really helpful.
steve

Post by steve »

+1, Lister, you always have great advice.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Great coaching! I learned/reminded of a lot in these few words. Thanks!
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

Great advice, Lister. Thank you.
Paul C.

Post by Paul C. »

Lister...we are lucky to have you...on the rides and at coffee...You are a big part of tripleshots recent growth and success..[and success at future 2012 races,]
Paula

Post by Paula »

Okay, reinforcing the "misery loves company" saying.. glad I wasn't the only one going off the back (albeit maybe the first, but always good to be first at something).

Great points Lister. I feel points 3 and 4 were directed toward me today. I just hope that the comment about "people going off the back, well before their fitness and strength suggests they should" also pertains to me, and if it doesn't you don't need to tell me. Because I know I was working HARD to try and catch up!

Thanks for wisdom and the pull Lister. Apologies from not letting you know I was only going to Cook Street, I don't think I had it in me to get a whole (coherent) sentence out.

Onwards...
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Not just you Paula. And yes you do have more in you than you think. But these are very common errors, and something like this gets written every year :)
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4