VCL Calendar - 2012

Moderator: mfarnham

Plawless

VCL Calendar - 2012

Post by Plawless »

With much thanks to the representatives of each of the local clubs who have personally invested far too many hours to make this happen here is the calendar for the VCL for this year. Enjoy and good luck!

Peter

2012 VCL CALENDAR
Final – as at Feb 27/12

Month Date Day Time Course Organizing Club Categories Description

March
11 Sun 10:30am Caleb O2 A/B/C RR
18Sun 10:30am Caleb O2 A/B/C RR (Island Race Series)
24 & 25 Sun Spring Series Stage Race EV - Vancouver A/B/C Stage Race Series

April
1 Sun 10:30am Latoria Russ Hays A/B/C RR
15 Sun 8:30am Windsor OBB – Wheelers A/B/C Crit
18 Wed 6:00pm Latoria Russ Hays A/B/C RR
25 Wed 6:00pm Caleb O2 A/B/C RR
28 & 29 Sat & Sun var Race the Ridge Local Ride A/B/C Stage Race Series
30 Mon 6:00pm Speedway Tripleshot Cycling Intro Race Series

May
2 Wed 6:30pm Latoria Russ Hays A/B RR
7 Mon 6:00pm Track GVVA Learn to Ride/Race Track
9 Wed 6:30pm Newton Hts OBB – Wheelers A/B Hilly Crit
14 Mon 6:00pm Speedway Tripleshot Cycling Intro Race Series
15 Tues 7:00pm Bazan Bay Sidney Velo A/B/C TT
20 Sun 8:00am Windsor Park OBB- Wheelers A/B/C Crit
21 Mon 6:00pm Track GVVA Learn to Ride/Race Track
23 Wed 6:30pm Newton Hts OBB – Wheelers A/B/C Hilly RR
28 Mon 6:00pm Speedway Tripleshot Cycling Intro Race Series
30 Wed 6:30pm Caleb Pike O2 A/B/C RR

June
1-3 Fri-Sun Cameron Law Series Stage Race Series & Prov Champ
5 Tues 7:00pm Bazan Bay Sidney Velo A/B/C TT
10 Sun 10:30am Neild Rd OBB – Wheelers A/B/C Hill Climb
11 Mon 6:00pm Track GVVA Intro Race Series Track
13 Wed 6:30pm Western SpeedwayTripleshot A/B/C Crit
20 Wed 6:30pm Latoria Russ Hays A/B/C RR
25 Mon 6:00pm Speedway Tripleshot Cycling Intro Race Series
27 Wed 6:30pm Caleb O2 A/B/C RR

July
8 Sun 8:00am Windsor Park OBB – Wheelers A/B/C Crit
9 Mon 6:00pm Track GVVA Intro Race Series Track
11 Wed 6:30pm Newton Heights OBB – Wheelers A/B/C Hilly Crit
14 & 15 Sat & SunVar Dove Creek Omnium Comox A/B/C Stage Race Series
16 Mon 6:00pm Luxton (?) O2 Intro Race Series RR
18 Wed 6:30pm Caleb Pike O2 A/B/C RR
22 Sun 8:00am Windsor Park OBB _ Wheelers A/B/C Crit
25 Wed 6:30pm Latoria Russ Hays A/B RR
29 Sun 10:30am Mt. Doug OBB - Wheelers A/B/C Hill Climb
31 Tues 7:00pm Bazan Bay Sidney Velo A/B/C TT

August
4 Sat 10:00 BC TT CHAMPS Aldergrove Cat 1-4 TT
8 Wed 6:30pm Speedway Tripleshot A/B/C Flat Circuit
13 Mon 6:00pm Luxton Russ Hays Intro Race Series Crit
15 Wed 6:30pm Caleb O2 A/B RR
19 Sun 12:00pm Nanaimo River Road Tripleshot TTT
20 Mon 6:00pm Track GVVA Intro Race Series Track
22 Wed 6:30pm Newton Heights OBB – Wheelers A/B/C Hilly Crit
25 & 26 Sat & SunVar BC Track Champs GVVA Intro Race Series Track
28 Tues 6:45pm Bazan Bay Sidney Velo A/B/C TT

Sept
3 Mon 6:00pm Speedway Tripleshot Cycling A/B/C
9 Sun 8:30am Observatory HC Pro City A/B/C Hill Climb
10 Mon 6:00pm Speedway Tripleshot Cycling A/B/C Flat Circuit
16 Sun 10:30am Willis Pt OBB - Wheelers A/B/C Hill Climb
17 Mon 6:00pm Speedway Tripleshot Cycling A/B/C Flat Circuit
Stéphane Tran

Re: VCL Calendar - 2012

Post by Stéphane Tran »

So who is racing B this year? Is anyone aiming for the GC? I can only do a limited number of races this year but would be happy to be work for others if needed (i.e. lead outs, chasing breaks, pace-setting, etc.) It would be awesome if TS could put together a strong Sky-style lead-out train for some of the flatter races like Windsor Park All we need is someone to play Cavendish...
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

It's a good time to start talking about this. Despite loosing Kevin, Josh and Dylan (Roland too?), we've still got some depth in the club. Depending on the course, there are strong contenders in A and B. We also have a bunch of what I'd call B+ racers that could start in B and do well before upgrading, or jump straight into A to possibly help people like Steve (for example) who has a shot at winning overall.

There's also the important goal of introducing new people to racing and having support for them (leading up to the races and during the races). Knowing who is interested would be a good first step in preparing for the 'season'.

And, let's not forget the Master's series. It might be fun to identify a few non-VCL events that we can enter en-mass.

My plans are to enter many VCL events, a few Master's races, and a few others (e.g., on the mainland).

You?

JohnT
esilnarson

Post by esilnarson »

I intend on racing 'B' this year and will be focusing on the VCL Wednesday night and Sunday morning races, with the odd other race here and there.

I agree that getting an idea of who is going to be racing this season is a good place to start. Perhaps a pub or coffee meeting is in order, so that we can talk strategy.

Brian E.
beegull

Post by beegull »

I plan on racing in as many VCL B races as I can make it to. I haven't raced at all before and I imagine my first races will be more a matter of survival and getting comfortable, but I'm excited about really getting into racing if I can.

I'd be into meeting for coffee/beer and strategy. I have a lot to learn, but going into races with some team goals would be good I think, helpful to have a focus beyond just figuring out what's going on.

Brent
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

One skill that is suited to drills, our rides, and team building is the leadout. Maybe practicing leadouts on Tuesdays? Make up teams of 3 or 4, with a designated sprinter, and each team try to get their sprinter to the front for the finish.

Brenna said they did this at the Cycling BC Palm Springs camp with the junior girls and they had fun with it.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
AlW

Post by AlW »

I also plan to be a regular at the VCL B races. A coffee/pub meeting to discuss team strategy/goals is a great idea. Would be nice to have a plan in advance rather than trying to sort it out 10 minutes before the race.

I'm also planning to get to as many BC Masters races on the island as I can.

Schedule is here: http://duanebc.com/raceresults2012/BCMa ... %20Jan.htm
bikehart

Post by bikehart »

Lister Farrar wrote:One skill that is suited to drills, our rides, and team building is the leadout. Maybe practicing leadouts on Tuesdays? Make up teams of 3 or 4, with a designated sprinter, and each team try to get their sprinter to the front for the finish.
That sounds like fun we could have black and blue teams on Tuesdays and organize on the way to the box.

Hugh
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

Racing practice. That's got me thinking: The lead out thing would be good, but it won't mimic many of the VCL events (except maybe Windsor Park). I'll bet there's a loop in the Uplands that is similar to Newton Heights/Caleb Pike. I live nearby, so I'll see what I can do about plotting a course. Then, newbies will get a chance to see what's coming and the rest of us can develop team strategies in the right context. It could be a Wednesday Hills substitute, for a little while.

JT
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

JohnT wrote: I'll bet there's a loop in the Uplands that is similar to Newton Heights/Caleb Pike.
Coming from someone who delivered papers on his bike in the Uplands for years, it's pretty damn dark in there until the sun comes up. Also: lots of rabbits, raccoons, deer and drunk ESL students wandering about in the wee hours. Not to mention more stop signs to blow than on the box.

Having said all that, there are definitely some pretty fun circuits to do at speed. :P
steve

Post by steve »

I'm going to throw my hat in for some B racing even though my fitness sucks this year - I can be pack fodder for the rest of you and will hopefully race my way into shape.

Even more in for the beer meeting component of things....

As far as a course to replicate Newton Heights, I sometimes ride down Ferndale, left on Vantreight, left on Leyns and up Balmacarra loop near Ash hill.

I think Latoria and Caleb pike, although somewhat hilly, do have a little more flat areas and might actually be good to practice teamwork on our Tuesday box rides.

Steve
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

I am just a bit concerned (maybe too strong a word - this is all for fun after all) that we might develop a race plan that works beautifully on Tuesday morning, but that goes to hell after a few runs up the Caleb Pike hill: Four people who think they know just what their job is when it comes to getting Eric (for example) to the last 50 m, end up in disarray on lap three in the real race because they each have a different pace on a 10% grade. The other thing a race practice can do is make people more aware of their time to fatigue. It's very hard to know how many laps of Newton Heights you can do at this pace (whatever that is) until you've tried. Why not find out on a similar course before hand?

JT
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

JohnT wrote: Four people who think they know just what their job is when it comes to getting Eric (for example) to the last 50 m, end up in disarray on lap three in the real race because they each have a different pace on a 10% grade. JT
I agree. I don't think a lead-out "train" would work that well on the hilly races, particularly those with uphill finish. However, Windsor Park and even the Speedway are flat and I can see it working on one of those courses. We can still make a collective plan for the other races, mind you.
Unfortunately I won't be out at all in March and won't start racing until April, but I would like to participate in any get-together we may have regarding strategy, etc.
alritchie

Post by alritchie »

I'm in for some racing this year, but have no idea where to start. Just have experience in some of the Squamish mountain bike race series and some of the Fondo events. I'm very keen take part and learn in the VLC series.

- Alex
Last edited by alritchie on Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

JohnT wrote:Racing practice. That's got me thinking: The lead out thing would be good, but it won't mimic many of the VCL events (except maybe Windsor Park). I'll bet there's a loop in the Uplands that is similar to Newton Heights/Caleb Pike. I live nearby, so I'll see what I can do about plotting a course. Then, newbies will get a chance to see what's coming and the rest of us can develop team strategies in the right context. It could be a Wednesday Hills substitute, for a little while.

JT
True. But Caleb and Lattoria do often end in a sprint, and a leadout would definitely make them safer for our strongest guy even if we blow up with 200 meters to go. We just don't know who's going to be left at the end if it's been hard. But at least the last few TS'r left will know more or less what to do if it does come down to a bunch sprint.

Another drill for how to ride Calebs and Lattorias (Newtons are really just death marches aren't they?) is to split the group into black and blue teams on a friday, and have the blue (TS) team send pairs or threes off the front to try and stay away, while the black team (other clubs) chases with the rest of the blue team sitting on. And then blues counter attack when the first break is caught. Teams need to have chasers and counter attackers ready. In real races, a chase won't let you sit on without jumping you, but for a drill, it's a starting point. And we all probably need the practice going hard in 2's or three's, then grabbing the bunch when we get caught. (hint, ease up 15 s before you get caught so you have legs to jump on. )

Chaser tactics can include chasing just hard enough so the break cooks nicely all the way through :) , then catching it. Or getting a couple guys across and joining up to stay away. Then blue needs a plan b.

I think it should be scripted a bit so we get the feel, or else it will just turn into a free for all and split to pieces. Maybe 3 blue riders go away, and blacks start chasing after 30 s. Then when caught, the other blue guys attack, are given 15-30 seconds, and then blacks chase, etc. Gets the feel of the efforts and organization involved, if not the sheer chaos of real races.
Last edited by Lister Farrar on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

We can attach surveyors tape to the back of helmets of designated 'TS' riders helmets so everyone knows who's on the attacking team. The rest chase fairly steadily, and those hurting can sit on behind the 'sitting' TS riders. Chasers learn to read who's chasing, and who's sitting on, so they can push back into the line after their turn to keep it rolling.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

Very exciting - just have to balance this with the success of the last B ride where there was no attacking and everyone loved it :D

Alternating might be great fun. "This is a stick-together B ride" and "This is a two-team manage the break" ride. Same for the A ride, but without the "stick-together" bit in version 1. :roll:

JT
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

JohnT wrote:Very exciting - just have to balance this with the success of the last B ride where there was no attacking and everyone loved it :D

Alternating might be great fun. "This is a stick-together B ride" and "This is a two-team manage the break" ride. Same for the A ride, but without the "stick-together" bit in version 1. :roll:

JT
I like that idea, and those names.

Btw, I wouldn't call it real attacking, because the break is let go so they can see just how hard it is to organize 3 and stay away (imagine trying to hold Dylan's wheel on a climb and then having to flog him on the downhills? :), and the chase of 6 or 7 riders (assuming 12-16 in the b pack) can ease up to speed so the hurtin' folks can draft along. Maybe even say no jumping to focus on fewer variables.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
AlW

Post by AlW »

Lister Farrar wrote:Newtons are really just death marches aren't they?
Definitely. The pack usually starts to disintegrate on the first climb. If you're a good climber, you'll do well. If not, you suffer in solitude.
Lister Farrar wrote:But Caleb and Lattoria do often end in a sprint
True, but the finishes on these courses are both uphill, so I'm wondering how effective a lead out train would be. I also find the sprints (on Caleb Pike anyway) to be a bit of a gong show. It's usually 10 to 15 riders going 4 or 5 wide. Add in a few who don't hold their line and a few who die halfway up the hill and it turns into a real mess. Would it not be better to attack or at least keep the pace high in an effort to thin the herd so the sprinters have more room at the finish?
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

You can totally run a sprint train at Latoria if it's finishing in a bunch. If you drop off two riders near the front at the last corner and your last leadout rider guns it up the first hill you should crush. The VCL 'B' races are way easier than a hard 3Shot 'A' ride so if you practice sprint leadouts on Tuesday and ride 'A' on Friday you'll be set (plus a 100-miler on the weekend, of course). Plans will all go to hell in the races and it'll be every man for himself, but that's part of the fun.