When does the B-Group 'no-drop' stop on the Friday ride?

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Paula

When does the B-Group 'no-drop' stop on the Friday ride?

Post by Paula »

I was wondering when the 'no-drop' stops in the B-Group on the Friday ride. If it is still 'no drop' until Dallas road, could we try and stick together until then? We had a big gap even before we turned on to Hollywood and it was way too hard to catch up! If it is a free for all at the top of King George Terrace, then I had better get off the mark a lot sooner!!

thanks for the ride today.

Paula
JohnT

Re: When does the B-Group 'no-drop' stop on the Friday ride

Post by JohnT »

In the past (and for quite a long time), King George Terrace was the start of the free-for-all. Back then we didn't do laps of Beacon Hill, so there was a sprint, essentially from King George T. to the Moca House. This was a good compromise. Anyone feeling unsatisfied knew they could really push it at the end.

Now it's a bit ambiguous. Sometimes people wait, sometimes they don't. Maybe the mystery is a good thing. It more or less the same in the A ride. Sometimes young Dylan slows at the top, sometimes he sprints right through - the rest of us have to respond one way or another.

JT
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

For the 'B' ride we have been and should (though I wasn't there today) stay together until we finish Hollywood.

The 'free for all' usually doesn't start until we hit Ross Bay/Dallas Road. It's generally close to seven by that time and on Hollywood you get the odd car pulling out or car door opening.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Paula wrote: then I had better get off the mark a lot sooner!!
I think you hit it there. From the times I've been last to start down the hill in B's or C's, I'm always surprised at the people who wait to get rolling. Often it's 10-15 seconds. A good rule of thumb is to get your foot off the ground when the leader does. Don't wait for the person in front of you to get going. (Good practice for any group riding is to key off the leader, not the person in front of you.)

Btw, it was Brenna first down the hill, so while she is going well from the Palm Springs camp, it was not some testosterone poisoned dude thrashing the group. When I got on her wheel, ( I was second down the hill) and she pulled off, I did a pull, but nothing huge. And when I pulled off, there were 6 or 7 riders right on my wheel.

One thing to note: at descending speeds, the wind resistance is huge if you leave a gap to close. But likewise, the drafting is huge...if you're on the wheel.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
AlW

Post by AlW »

leftcoaster wrote:For the 'B' ride we have been and should (though I wasn't there today) stay together until we finish Hollywood.
I've always thought that the free-for-all starts at King George. The only time I remember delaying until the end of Hollywood was due to adverse weather conditions or construction.
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Personally because I suck at hills, I always liked when we waited till after hollywood to "open it up" that way I I have a fighting chance of staying with the peleton till the finish, instead of being dropped on King George and then shamefully pedaling alone for coffee :oops:
Current Winter Gloating point amount - 16730 (and counting)
steve

Post by steve »

I think the key here is communication - everyone should know when it is "Game on" and adjust accordingly. Like Dave states, during the winter we sometimes have waited until after Hollywood. Other days, we have put a foot down at the top of King George to regroup and then hammered down the hill.

In the spring/summer when it is light and dry and there are more riders out., we have gone straight over and the group has split up. I think this is a good idea when numbers go up as it prevents finishing Beacon Hill laps with a dangerous 20 man sprint.

Perhaps its worth calling the "Game on" point before the ride and stating clearly the number of laps at Beacon Hill?
Krostini

Post by Krostini »

Thanks for the comments, it can be mysterious sometimes :) Glad to know there are so many possibilities.

Aside to that, forgive my sketchy cornering this morning before Belnkinsop, my brakes were terribly poorly tensioned and I left the group, as I was a threat! I changed my pads a few weeks ago but have trouble adjusting them properly.

On that note, what are the chances we could organize a maintenance workshop? Maybe as part of the speaker series?

Kristin
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

It is never, ever shameful to pedal alone to coffee. It is only shameful not to pedal at all.