Tuesday Dec. 6th

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

wonger

Tuesday Dec. 6th

Post by wonger »

Where are all the weather geeks? I see temps forcast for 0 degrees tomorrow - is it gonna be icy?
Greg Miller

Re: Tuesday Dec. 6th

Post by Greg Miller »

Humidity is around 80%, so it might be alright (don't look for me though, I am in Van). Then again, I think I will give up trying to predict things. Last night I had to scrape the windshield to go out at 9:30pm, yet by morning there was no frost to be seen!
wonger

Post by wonger »

Cross ride at 10:30 - all are welcome!
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

I use this humidity calculator to try to predict dew/frost point.
http://www.humidity-calculator.com/index.php
Right now, 10:45pm, most of the school weather stations are reporting around 4.5C with around 82% humidity. Plug that into the calculator and that gives a dew point of 1.6C. That lead to the prediction water is going to condense as dew at above freezing as it cools tonight, then freeze on the ground as it gets below zero later in the morning. Not promising, as that is the recipe for black ice. If the ground temperature is colder than the air temperature, we could actually get frost forming instead of freezing dew, even a few degrees above zero, which would be slightly better for us.

If it were, for example, 70% relative humidity and 4.5C right now, the dew point would be below zero, and we'd be in better shape, as we're unlikely to get that low in temperature tonight.

Things can change overnight though, better to check in the morning.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.