Looking for a Group Ride

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

steve

Re: Looking for a Group Ride

Post by steve »

Peter,

What happened to the men of winter and our gloating points? It wasn't even raining by the time I got home.

Steve
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

worked out indoors this morning.
no rain bike together yet.
soon
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

A recent post I wrote for the junior's facebook page. Might help the shy ones get organized to come celebrate the rain gods:
Some thoughts on bad weather riding and maintenance:

Go to bed earlier. Sounds obvious but it helps with getting up. A lot. And how much did you really accomplish after 10 pm anyway? I know I wasted an hour after 10 watching the news and remembering late I forgot to put the washing on. :(

Have your clothing ready before you go to bed. If you hear rain in the morning, any obstacle like a missing bootie will lure you back to bed. A minute before bed is worth 5 in the am when you're not quite awake.

Focus clothing on extremities: for feet, two pairs of booties may help: I wore neoprene underneath, and goretex from mec on top; toasty warm today. For hands, fleece gloves and shell overgloves or mitts. Better than one piece gloves because they dry faster, can peel when too warm. Cheap plastic jackets are fine.

Don't worry about going hard. If every ride is hard, you'll stop getting up. Reward yourself with easy rides too where you look at the sunrise.

Hose off your bike after every wet ride. Waiting allows dirt to harden. Spraying with a regular garden hose gets rid of the mud, grit and grass that wears parts out, holds moisture to start rust. Especially chain and cassette and rims. Avoid pointing spray right at bearings.

Bounce your bike after to shake the water off, then put somewhere heated to dry. Oil the chain on the top of the bottom run. I use chain saw oil for chains; quieter, won't splatter, cheap. Use lighter oil like teflon lube for pivots and cable entry points. And we know this works; my bikes are old!

Also, wash shoes, right away, so they dry for next ride, and so dirt doesn't harden around the cleat. Remove insoles and dry near a gentle heat source (hair dryer on low, ski boot dryer).

Washing bike and shoes is 5 minutes tops. Don't wait; it will be 30 minutes + when the dirt dries on the bike.

Embrace the bad weather. Celebrate the triumph of getting out the door, and training when others aren't. Look forward to the challenge of dressing to be comfortable, and get over having a polished bike.
Last edited by Lister Farrar on Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

I'll come out in the rain just so I don't have to read posts like these tomorrow!

JT
jj12

Post by jj12 »

lol ... was at work but will be out on friday.
Dave Spiers

Post by Dave Spiers »

Ha Ha. I thought about all the crazies riding in the rain while I was driving to Duncan in my nice and dry truck. Dont have any good excuse for tomorrow though see you all on the hills!!
# 9
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

Damn, where did this rain come from so suddenly...............gotta find those fenders...........wouldn't want to show up without them..............
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

where did peters post go?
Roland

Looking for a Group Ride

Post by Roland »

Josh.E wrote:where did peters post go?
He deleted it.
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

now why would he do that? :roll:

Have we actually become so uptight in this club that we can no longer call out a bunch of pansies who are afraid of the rain(myself included in this case) on the forum for being a bunch of pansies?

Isn't dripping sarcasm and public berating what this club has always been all about from the get go? Isn't Peter being himself on here what helped make this club what it is today?

H'ingTFU is required all the way around. :P
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Josh.E wrote:now why would he do that? :roll:

Have we actually become so uptight in this club that we can no longer call out a bunch of pansies who are afraid of the rain(myself included in this case) on the forum for being a bunch of pansies?

Isn't dripping sarcasm and public berating what this club has always been all about from the get go? Isn't Peter being himself on here what helped make this club what it is today?

+1. I think Peter has leader guilt. Post here if you want the post back. I do too.

The reason this club works is because of social incentives to show-up. A little gentle mocking of rain-o-phobes is just right. Especially to all you fair-weather types that showed up this am. Tues- 5, Friday- what, 45?!
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
Quentin

Post by Quentin »

+1. Peter's post (and the Simon video) were what got me out this morning.
Roland

Looking for a Group Ride

Post by Roland »

Quentin wrote:

+1. Peter's post (and the Simon video) were what got me out this morning.
I stayed home this morning because Peter deleted the post.

I also heard Peter was going to race cyclocross.
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
Kevin F

Post by Kevin F »

I had limited childcare this week and now my wife is away until Tuesday. I bought 'Revolver' and plan to maximize my training indoors. Winter bike has had the stem flipped and all but one spacer removed. I'll be out rain or shine when possible. :twisted:
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Roland wrote:
I also heard Peter was going to race cyclocross.
:shock:
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
arfenarf

Post by arfenarf »

My coach made me swim this morning and I figured I'd get more points if I was cold and wet than I would out with you lot where it was just plain dark?

(I would like to see the points scale re-published)

--
Kate
AlW

Post by AlW »

Lister Farrar wrote:+1. I think Peter has leader guilt. Post here if you want the post back. I do too.
Ditto.