Sunday's Ride, Sept 18

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

barton bourassa

Sunday's Ride, Sept 18

Post by barton bourassa »

That was quite a ride. A large group with many varying fitness and skill levels and changing weather!

I just wanted to do a little check in with folks about the ride. We talked before leaving that it was a leisurely Sunday ride. We had about 30 as we were going thru Uplands. Then about 22 or so past Matticks then maybe 20 from Island View.

How did the ride go for you especially any new people? Were you able to keep up? Did you find it safe enough? Was the pace ok? If there was anything that hindered your ride, let us know!

If I could, I'd like to make a few suggestions. Weaker riders or those simply not wanting to hammer, take really short pulls then get back into the draft. Take it easy up the hills. Stronger riders, take longer pulls (nice and steady!). And for the stronger riders, maybe hammer up the hill climbs then come back down and around and pick up the not so strong (YET!) riders. That way no one has to stand around, unless of course you want to! And the slower riders may not feel like they are holding up the group.

Remember, like Mike L said, this is a Leisurely Sunday Ride so come one, come all! Saturday is for hammering and testing your metal. Sunday is for everyone.

These are just a few thoughts that have all been said before.

Barton.
Barton Bourassa
Kevin F

Re: Sunday's Ride, Sept 18

Post by Kevin F »

Was all fine for me. I didn't mind standing around waiting at the observatory while others did a second a second hill climb.
mlawless

Re: Sunday's Ride, Sept 18

Post by mlawless »

Barton,

Thanks for posting this. I think that one of the best characteristics of this cycling club is that there is a genuine concern for the enjoyment (and safety) of other riders. The key is for each of us to communicate to the group when we are not enjoying things and try to identify why that is (too fast a pace, too many attacks, wrong skill level, etc.). I have always found this group to be really responsive to my needs (slowing down, pushing me up hills, encouraging me to stop weeping uncontrollably - apparently controllable weeping is acceptable)

From my perspective TS is an incredibly inclusive group but, as with any large group, there is always a risk of people falling away from the group. I know that some riders have felt it necessary to have an alternate Sunday ride because the pace was simply too hard and not sustainable for them. I would much rather have us all start at the same place on the weekends and then, as we do during the week, break into faster and slower rides with the same finish points so we can all enjoy both the ride and the post-ride coffee. Also, that gives me the option to go with a faster group or a more social group depending on how I feel on that particular day - I think this is a great option as we move into the winter riding season.

Certainly, weekends are always tricky as each of us will have a different 'curfew' depending on what else is going on that day. So, if you are leaving the group early, please say something so we all know that everything is okay and that you are not laying in a ditch somewhere gasping for air and hoping to be attacked by a cougar.

During the rides it seems to me that the two 'riders' that must communicate are respectively the rider at the front and the rider at the back. At the front we need to be aware of the pace we are setting and how the riders at the back are faring at that pace (especially as we crest a hill and the back of the pack is still struggling up it). The riders at the back have to communicate when we are running out of steam - in other words shout for a "steady" before you have separated from the group. I have consistently found the group to be more than happy to slow down for me and I have been able to finish the ride.

Ultimately TS is a great inclusive group that brings people of all skill and experience levels together. Making sure that all of the riders we cycle with each day are having a positive experience is a way to ensure that the club meets it's mandate.

Sorry about the long "Peter-esque" post but every once in a while genetics take over!

Michael