Lost Art of the Group Ride

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

Josh.E

Lost Art of the Group Ride

Post by Josh.E »

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Rolf

Re: Lost Art of the Group Ride

Post by Rolf »

Great article; if a bit grouchy.

i did my first Sunday ride in months today and saw all that stuff -- the bad and the good. 8)
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

Aside from any thoughts about the article one of the AWESOME things I think we have all created here with TSC is that if there is stuff that is bugging you, or stuff you dont like then we have to say somemthing. I think this group is really good at not only welcoming new folk but in providing some ride tips.

I imagine that one area we can all get better at is in listening for tips for us. I think that the coolest thing about having guys like our resident Euro Pro Lister, Josh, etc is the availability of really good advice...... I shouldnt let my "pride" etc get in the way of getting better.

So maybe the message is: Speak up, and Listen up!
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Plawless wrote:Aside from any thoughts about the article one of the AWESOME things I think we have all created here with TSC is that if there is stuff that is bugging you, or stuff you dont like then we have to say somemthing. I think this group is really good at not only welcoming new folk but in providing some ride tips.

I imagine that one area we can all get better at is in listening for tips for us. I think that the coolest thing about having guys like our resident Euro Pro Lister, Josh, etc is the availability of really good advice...... I shouldnt let my "pride" etc get in the way of getting better.

So maybe the message is: Speak up, and Listen up!
Agree. I think everyone should feel they can say, "So, I'm wondering about ride etiquette. Can we talk about traffic/pace/signals ... " It seems to me it's better if the group talks about this, than the same people or leaders dictating or reciting rules. But if I'm wrong, I'm willing to help write and repeat ride rules if people want them.

I think this happens to an extent on our rides, but the usual speakers can feel they are doing it too often.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Since we're on this topic, and I am very impressed with the TS group on so many levels, I do think there is some encouragment needed on which group riders choose to ride with. (A, B or C). Last Friday I noticed a larger than average A group heading out. This included a number of strong riders that have been normally in the B group. This took some pressure off the B ride and made it a little less intense.
I believe there should be more encouragement for riders that are capable, to move to the higher speed groups in order to steady the pace of the lower groups. Otherwise, the intensity of the lower groups continues to elevate and this could have a negative effect on new members.
It's pretty simple, those of you that have been riding for a while know who you are and those that also should be making the move.

Just my two cents.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Jimmy wrote:Since we're on this topic, and I am very impressed with the TS group on so many levels, I do think there is some encouragment needed on which group riders choose to ride with. (A, B or C). Last Friday I noticed a larger than average A group heading out. This included a number of strong riders that have been normally in the B group. This took some pressure off the B ride and made it a little less intense.
I believe there should be more encouragement for riders that are capable, to move to the higher speed groups in order to steady the pace of the lower groups. Otherwise, the intensity of the lower groups continues to elevate and this could have a negative effect on new members.
It's pretty simple, those of you that have been riding for a while know who you are and those that also should be making the move.

Just my two cents.
Hear that juniors? Time to stop sandbagging in the b2's. :)

Seriously, Evan is itching to try A, so when he does, A's, please help him out. Brenna and Alex are ready for B1, Duncan too. This week they are a bit cooked from the weekend, though it was hard to tell the way Alex, Brenna and Duncan rode in the sprints. Sooner or later they will learn how to go easy. :roll:
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

I like the point about avoiding the roll-back when you stand up to climb.

Also, this morning the A's went straight and the B1 group turned right into the Uplands. We have avoided Uplands in the dark in the past. Shall we make a decision on that turn now?

JT
barton bourassa

Post by barton bourassa »

That is a great article. It articulates precisely what we strive to be. Riding as group 3 or 4 days a week is a lot different than racing. We are a group riding club, not a racing club (although the occasional race is pretty cool!). We are as strong as our weakest rider, and that does not mean the slowest rider! Weakness comes in many forms. Holding back and slacking till the final sprint. Surging when it is your turn on the front. Any number of strange and dangerous manouvers that can easily make the rest of the group nervous as can be and a little less anxious to come back out again for another ride.

A few times I have seen new riders come out for a ride and seen them ride well below their physical abilities. I have seen them hang back and watch how the group flows and listen to others about our philosophy, how we collectively view our rides as group rides. Then after a few weeks, away they go to the next level! I have seen a number of riders start out in the C group, get the skills and physical ability and move up to the Bs. Very encouraging!!

Coffee after the ride is not just coffee. It is an opportunity to talk about the ride, what went well and what did not. It is a chance to provide encouragement to each other and instruction or advise when necessary.

This is a great group with a great reputation in the city's cycling community. Open discussion is what has made it so and what will keep it a great group. So, if you see someone doing something great, let them know. If you see someone doing something that you might find dangerous or discouraging to the group, talk to them about it. I can't count the number of times I have quietly told someone about something that seemed a bit weird just to be thanked by them for pointing it out. So keep talking!

Ride Strong. Ride Safe. Ride together!

Barton.
Barton Bourassa
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Subject to a wee bit of editing, Barton, I think you just wrote the Tripleshot manifesto! :D
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

also, contrary to the article,
I'd like to encourage everyone to keep their riding shorts ON immediately after our rides. I'm not sure how they rolled in the 'old days', but I don't think I want any part of that scene
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Josh.E wrote:also, contrary to the article,
I'd like to encourage everyone to keep their riding shorts ON immediately after our rides. I'm not sure how they rolled in the 'old days', but I don't think I want any part of that scene
:lol:
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
4827north

Post by 4827north »

Josh.E wrote:also, contrary to the article,
LOL! Yeah, we'd have to change the tagline of the club if we followed that rule: "Predawn gear-out destination cycling".
Brad
brad[at]zedwheels.com
Member #58 1 May 2010 to December 2011