Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

RyanC

Heads up - be safe & avoid paying a fine

Post by RyanC »

Dylan J C

Re: Heads up - be safe & avoid paying a fine

Post by Dylan J C »

not wearing a helmet is just dumb, it's kindda like a seatbelt, optional, but shouldn't be.
The day I quit is the day I die, and probably not even then.
4827north

Post by 4827north »

Interesting article in, I think either Velo or Bicycling where they say that not wearing a helmet may have consequences even when it's legal to ride without. Any accident involving a head injury may have the jury finding the cyclist negligent as they may find it 'common sense' to wear a helmet for such an activity that poses a risk of head injury.

The motorcycle helmet law has been challenged. This challenge should be no different with no different outcome. Wear a helmet, if not to law-abide, but for your own health.
Brad
brad[at]zedwheels.com
Member #58 1 May 2010 to December 2011
RyanC

Post by RyanC »

http://www.timescolonist.com/Bike+helme ... story.html :shock:
The more I think about this, the more I am not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Here's the best response so far; short and to the point.

http://www.timescolonist.com/health/cov ... story.html

Ron van der Eerden says he's "trying to make things better for everyone." The fact that his legal argument fails out of the gate is beside the point. The fact that the Vancouver Cycling Coalition supports his challenge is where I have an issue. To me, the helmet law is identical to seat belt law. I can't recall the last time anyone argued that constituted a Charter infringement.

I thought the rationale behind these laws was about shared responsibility -- the law protects us both from your own stupidity. It amazes me how myopic individualists cry about 'threats' to collective freedom and yet seemingly have no problem implicitly expecting family and society to bear the costs of their self-interest. Yes, Ron, it may be your inherent right to make stupid choices but, when your head meets the road unprotected, the rest of us ultimately pay a share of your long-term support for the statistically probable aftermath.

R