Moderator: mfarnham

kitchell

noseless (or d..less) saddles

Post by kitchell »

Article in New York Times - Science Section
A Release Valve for Cyclists’ Unrelenting Pressure
By JOHN TIERNEY
Published: June 27, 2011
New noseless saddles can save cyclists from soreness and numbness in this genital region, but their popularity is lagging.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/28/science/28tier.html

These saddles can cure erectile dysfunction... as can double americanos.
John D

Re: noseless (or d..less) saddles

Post by John D »

OK, I have to admit, this made me giggle:

http://www.ergotheseat.com.au/crushed-n ... undae.html

And I'm not usually one for giggling. Seriously. I'm just not. :evil:

JD
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
Dylan J C

Post by Dylan J C »

might work on an upright commuter, but I'm pretty sure in a forward position I would just fall off.

option 2: better chamois
The day I quit is the day I die, and probably not even then.
SunnyD

Post by SunnyD »

Dylan J C wrote:might work on an upright commuter, but I'm pretty sure in a forward position I would just fall off.

option 2: better chamois
I'm pretty handy with saddles and fabric, but there has to be something more to it than just the top layer is chaomis?

The only thing I can think of that makes the chamois a good choice is it would stay dry through even the worst 'monkey butt' moments? :oops:
SunnyD

Post by SunnyD »

Ahhh okay the big change is to make the trade off between stability and sitting on your junk!

I think I'm going to try and get that effect by building the seat up a bit to remove the 'sharpness' of the tip of the saddle.

I have a half pack of these really cheap synthetic chamois for clean-up around the house. I think I'm going to cut/shape at least one layer to sandwich between the top fabric and the foam base. It should suck up the moisture and give me extra padding.

My seat can't get any worse than it is either way. I go for anything more than few kms and the next day is agony. ;)
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

SunnyD wrote:Ahhh okay the big change is to make the trade off between stability and sitting on your junk!

I think I'm going to try and get that effect by building the seat up a bit to remove the 'sharpness' of the tip of the saddle.

I have a half pack of these really cheap synthetic chamois for clean-up around the house. I think I'm going to cut/shape at least one layer to sandwich between the top fabric and the foam base. It should suck up the moisture and give me extra padding.

My seat can't get any worse than it is either way. I go for anything more than few kms and the next day is agony. ;)
A few ideas on saddle discomfort.

How long have you been riding? Nobody feels great the first few rides, it's just not a part of your anatomy you sit on, unless you ride.

How's your flexibility? If you're tight, your pelvis can roll forward onto the perineum, instead of sitting back on the sit bones or ischial tuberosities.

After that is position. If your saddle is too high, you could be rocking side to side, causing friction. Saddle too far back? Bars too far away? All can cause pressure on the perineum.

Saddle shape matters. There are lots of shapes available now, for most types of pelvic architecture. Flat top, sway back, centre channels, flattish side to side, round side to side, wide nose, narrow nose, padded nose, little padding etc. Longish discussion here about pelvic shape and saddles, among other things: http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blo ... smp-seats/

Then there's good old leather, like Brooks, which some randonneurs use; it molds (eventually) to your shape.

Building up the chamois might work, but too much material can bind and wrinkle and make the problem worse.

You could always try that old tour de france rider trick. Put a raw steak in your shorts! :D
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4