Hoogerland Crash Aftermath (Graphic - Warning - Do Not View)

YouTube videos, Pickle juice discussion, doping accusations, etc.

Moderator: mfarnham

sylvan

Hoogerland Crash Aftermath (Graphic - Warning - Do Not View)

Post by sylvan »

Another episode of So You Want to be a Pro Cyclist?

I warned you. This is what happens when the rider beside you gets violently sideswiped by a car and you fly upside down into a barbed wire fence. Obviously then you ride another 40 km and win the king of the mountains jersey.

steve

Re: Hoogerland Crash Aftermath (Graphic - Warning - Do Not V

Post by steve »

How he finished the race after that crash is beyond me, although I can't possibly imagine him not abandoning tomorrow. Apparently, he got on his bike, finished the race, shed tears on the podium for getting both KOM and most aggressive rider, gave interviews and then went to the hospital.

Steve
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

steve wrote:How he finished the race after that crash is beyond me, although I can't possibly imagine him not abandoning tomorrow. Apparently, he got on his bike, finished the race, shed tears on the podium for getting both KOM and most aggressive rider, gave interviews and then went to the hospital.

Steve
Rest day tomorrow, so he may still be able to continue. It's a shame he's one of my favorite riders, I've liked him since I saw him in the Giro Italia bridge a 4 min gap between the peleton and a breakaway group only to finally catch the breakaway group and instead of resting in the draft for a little while he attacks and blows right by them. Very entertaining!!
Current Winter Gloating point amount - 16730 (and counting)
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

that crash was ridiculous. the driver of that french TV car should be forced to jump from his moving car into a barbed wire fence tomorrow......
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
RyanC

Post by RyanC »

Ouch! :shock: The only thing that makes this image tolerable is the later image of Hoogerland in tears (of emotion, I hope) on the podium receiving the polka dot jersey for his efforts. Oh, that and 33 stitches. I hope we see him tomorrow.

I have noticed that one of the best aspects of the online news resources is the opportunity for readers to comment on the article directly on the host site. I often find these posts more informative - or at least more entertaining - than the articles themselves. While many responses are simplistic, reactionary rants (yes, apparently you can have access to the internet while incarcerated, it seems), occasionally you get comments that are priceless, such as the one pasted below from the Velonews report on the above incident.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/07/ ... ash_183191

The 'debate' had gone the usual route about which sport is better, who's tougher, blah, blah. Then this person pipes in. I still have tears in my eyes from laughing:
Anonymous

You are confusing a “sport” with a “game” or “contest”. Cycling is a
sport. Golf is not. It’s a game. (And one of the most boring, in my
opinion!) Likewise for baseball.

I honestly don’t know what to call hunting and fishing, however. Even a
decent ‘game’ requires an opponent that knows they’re playing!

NASCAR is not a sport either. It’s an engineering contest with
potentially fatal consequences. Like giving a precocious 12 year old
with an attitude a chemistry set and a basement to play in!

Golf on TV, however, does enjoy the distinction of being proof positive that people now live too long! And it does have one other socially redeeming value:
If we ever need to get rid of all the Republicans, we know where to find them!
R
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

RyanC wrote:Ouch! :shock: The only thing that makes this image tolerable is the later image of Hoogerland in tears (of emotion, I hope) on the podium receiving the polka dot jersey for his efforts. Oh, that and 33 stitches. I hope we see him tomorrow.

I have noticed that one of the best aspects of the online news resources is the opportunity for readers to comment on the article directly on the host site. I often find these posts more informative - or at least more entertaining - than the articles themselves. While many responses are simplistic, reactionary rants (yes, apparently you can have access to the internet while incarcerated, it seems), occasionally you get comments that are priceless, such as the one pasted below from the Velonews report on the above incident.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/07/ ... ash_183191

The 'debate' had gone the usual route about which sport is better, who's tougher, blah, blah. Then this person pipes in. I still have tears in my eyes from laughing:
Anonymous

You are confusing a “sport” with a “game” or “contest”. Cycling is a
sport. Golf is not. It’s a game. (And one of the most boring, in my
opinion!) Likewise for baseball.

I honestly don’t know what to call hunting and fishing, however. Even a
decent ‘game’ requires an opponent that knows they’re playing!

NASCAR is not a sport either. It’s an engineering contest with
potentially fatal consequences. Like giving a precocious 12 year old
with an attitude a chemistry set and a basement to play in!

Golf on TV, however, does enjoy the distinction of being proof positive that people now live too long! And it does have one other socially redeeming value:
If we ever need to get rid of all the Republicans, we know where to find them!
R
Post of the month!
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4