Saturday Mountain Madness

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

mlawless

Post by mlawless »

Who is up for a civilized Malahat & Shawnigan Lake ride tomorrow morning? Douglas St Starbucks for 6:00. I need some miles in my legs but am not planning (as if I could) on hammering up the Malahat.

For those that have not done this ride before it is a ton of fun. We ride together to the start of the Malahat climb by Goldstream. You can ride your own pace up the Malahat. We then all regroup for coffee just before Mill Bay at Serious Coffee before riding around Shawnigan and back the Malahat for Coffee. How can you not take a shot at a triple coffee morning! The pace is generally quite civil (i.e. I can do it therefore you can do it also) with a number of collection points to allow us to get back together after climbing at our own pace.

Michael
spearson

Re: Saturday Mountain Madness

Post by spearson »

In.
mat_baker

Post by mat_baker »

+1
-m
John D

Post by John D »

mlawless wrote:We then all regroup for coffee just before Mill Bay at Serious Coffee before riding around Shawnigan and back the Malahat for Coffee.
I'm most likely in. I've never "hammered" up the Malahat yet, and don't intend to start tomorrow. I do like how you left out the small matter of scaling Goldstream Heights. :wink:

J.
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
steve

Post by steve »

I'm in too and Rick is in as well.

Too bad we have to have two separate Saturday rides, I would suggest that we could meet at Douglas Starbucks and contemplate Munns, Finlayson Arm and Willis Point if the objective was to get some climbing and miles in. This would allow those who have to be back at 9am an opportunity to leave early if needed. It would also avoid all the roadside debris and subsequent mechanical issues seen on the Malahat.

Irrespective, I'll be at Douglas St starbucks for 6am

Steve
Chris Watt

Post by Chris Watt »

IN!

Cheers,
Chris
AndreaR

Post by AndreaR »

I saw the baby blues on the descent as I was driving up to Duncan. I was surprised it took so little time to get up and then down!
MikeA.

Post by MikeA. »

Fantastic ride today!

Highlights included:

The instigator of this ride bailing out in Mill Bay and returning home before the rest of us continued on to the epic ascent of the Heights.

Simon riding his iron cast 500lb. cyclocross bike up the hills whilst chattering up a storm.

Cafe Fantastico to finish.

Oh, and the view on the Heights wasn't bad either.
norman marcy

Post by norman marcy »

Thanks to Dave for keeping me company on the assent of the Shawnigan south access and the Goldstream Hieghts sections and Simon for the company on the way down the Hat

I definitely had my but served on a platter. You guys are great and fast on the hills

where were you John D when I needed company
jj12

Post by jj12 »

good report guys!
mlawless

Post by mlawless »

Okay, so I am a good starter but not such a good finisher. Once my clear inability to go uphill was apparent to everyone, I bailed out after Serious Coffee in Mill Bay. A few of us had a good ride back to town at which point I went off and jumped onto the Oak Bay ride at Mattick's farm. All in I ended with around 130km - now I can start my taper for IMC :D