Caleb pike july 6

Moderator: mfarnham

Jbooyah

Caleb pike july 6

Post by Jbooyah »

Was planning to race B, anyone else going?
I have one speed, I have one gear: GO!- Charlie Sheen
Josh.E

Re: Caleb pike july 6

Post by Josh.E »

hopefully racing A tomorrow.

Not sure if work will allow it yet. If not I'll be doing tolmie repeats in the AM.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Kevin F

Post by Kevin F »

I'll be there.
wonger

Post by wonger »

Planning to join you. Anyone riding out?
Jbooyah

Post by Jbooyah »

meet 5:15 switch bridge to ride out
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

I'll try to make it too. I've been away since last Thurs and have a 9 hr time change to recover from, so I won't be in attack mode like last week. I know who was at Pure Vanilla this morning, so no excuses for the rest of you :)

JT
wonger

Post by wonger »

I'm out. Good luck.
AlW

Post by AlW »

I'm going to ride out and may race as well.

In order to avoid the highway and the associated detritis and safety issues, Kevin and I are going to take the Goose to Atkins, then head up Selwyn to the lights south of the Millstream overpass. Will probably take a little longer than the normal route up the highway so we are meeting at the switch bridge and rolling out at 5:00pm instead of the usual 5:15pm.
Jbooyah

Post by Jbooyah »

I didn't make it back to Victoria in time. Sorry guys, hope the race went well.
Kevin F

Re: Caleb pike july 6 - race report

Post by Kevin F »

Race Report-Under blue skies and real heat, Caleb Pike started like one of the first races on the season. It had the pace of a coffee ride. Which to be honest suited me fine. In my first race this season I was jumpy. Yesterday I was trying to figure out how I could use the pace to my advantage. The TSC crew was about 6 strong at the start. We didn’t talk strategy.

The race went kind of sideways early. John went off strong at the front, Hugh had a few massive pulls but I stayed completely out of the mix. Tim Loewen (pink Team Crush) hated the early slow pace. There was on break that didn't stick and then on lap 8 of 15 he jumped with the same early break guy. The peloton really let them escape. I was in that group trying not to jump at the break and let it come back with the group. With 5 laps to go the break had over 20 second.

I started to have to work at the front for the last 5 laps. I was focussing on not burning up and at least beating everyone in the pack. I had Al Jim (James) and one other TSer (embarrassing... I forgot your name) making some efforts on the front to assist. With 2.5 laps to go, we ended up splitting in to just three chasers. Of the 3 only Dave Stasser and worked I the other guy was a team mate of the early breaker. If you see the pics I closed all but 1.5 seconds on the last lap, to snag 3rd. I think if I had had a team mate in the split group or another strong rider pulling we would have had a good chance at beating them on the line. It's OK though since a podium was my goal.

The race was a tactical race for me more than physical. I was lucky to feel physically, my best near the end of the race (wasn’t feelin’ it at the start or mid way) so if I was a bit smarter next time who knows. It was the first real thinking race for me. It was great to have a few wheels working for me when I needed it.
DIStrasser

Post by DIStrasser »

Good report Kevin. We did our best to make a late effort. Our biggest challenge was trying to get a few more people to maintain a consistent pace line at the front when chasing. There were too many riders "sitting up" when at the front.

Faced with a similar situation in the future, once it has been determined no one else wants to work for the chase, then I think it best to close the gap earlier and hope there is enough time to recover for a sprint. We were a little too conservative with the breakaway for the first 2 laps they were away. Small, but valuable lessons every time you get another race under the belt.

This was the first time I've been involved in the "political" side of racing that occurs at the front of the group. It was good to work with Kevin on the chase, even if we are on different teams. It definitely would have made a huge difference if the O2 guy who came along for the ride did some work, but I guess he has no responsibility to help out with his man in the break.

And Kevin, I believe you owe your teammate dinner for the long pull on the back side, and you might owe me a beer for the last 500m before the final hill! Cheers and good work.
AlW

Re: Caleb pike july 6 - race report

Post by AlW »

I rode out to watch but after a gentle prodding from Kevin, I decided to have a go. First race of the year for me, so the goal was to hang on as long as possible and try and finish without getting lapped. The "coffee pace" was a blessing and allowed me to hang on to the main group a lot longer than I expected. I tried to stay close to Kevin and helped him once or twice, but my current condition prevented anything beyond that.
Kevin F wrote:I started to have to work at the front for the last 5 laps. I was focussing on not burning up and at least beating everyone in the pack. I had Al Jim (James) and one other TSer (embarrassing... I forgot your name) making some efforts on the front to assist
I dropped off main group at the end of lap 10, so not sure who Kevin is referring to. I think the combination of no water and the heat suddenly got to me because I went from feeling ok to really bad.

Rode solo until I caught Shailie Sanbrooks with 2 1/2 laps to go and rode with her until the end.

It was a thinking race for me as well, but the thoughts had nothing to do with tactics and more along the lines of "what the heck am I doing out here?".
bikehart

Post by bikehart »

What was I thinking....

Geoff convinced me to race on Tuesday night, when he pulled the pin I should have reconsidered my decision.

Things started out just fine nice slow pace and a relatively small pack. We were able to reel in the first two breaks without any trouble. John tried to cover the third by the eventual winner, Larry Wilson but was not able to do it on his own so I took a turn on the front. I went a little too hard for a little too long and managed to blow up completely. I hung on for half a lap and spent the rest of the race watching from the finish.

Sorry I was not there to help out at the end.

How did Brenna put it..."That felt terrible"

Hugh