Hurricane Ridge

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

RyanC

Hurricane Ridge

Post by RyanC »

Canada Day south of the border seems so paradoxical. Nevertheless, I rolled over on the 6:10 ferry to meet Joe & Kim Gard, Duane & Helen Martindale, Derek Tripp and his partner, Kerri, as well as Chris Paul & Rhonda Callender. We rode up to the summit from the ferry together in some pretty borderline weather. It was nice to see Marcus, Kevin and Bruce there, too. Anyone who has ridden this mountain knows that the most intimidating part is the first 8kms up to the toll booth. turning on to Heart O' the Hills road, the grade soon pitches up to about 8% (sign says 7 - Garmin data, anyone?) for about 6k before leveling off and slightly descending to the toll station, the unofficial 'starting point.'

This year, everyone except Marcus seemed reluctant to roll out because of the damp and chill but since Duane was kind enough to offer to take our substantial packs (mine had winter gear in it) to the top in his car (he was down for the day with the cold that has been circulating forever), I started off. I was soon joined by Dr. Pain, Bruce Schlatter, who goaded me into an insane 30+kms/hr pace up the lower grades. By the time we hit the tunnels (and the more serious inclines), I was already on the ropes. I backed off soon after around the 12km point and watched Bruce roll away into the fog. My speed rapidly dropped to a more manageable 18-19km/hr average at that point and I was able to appreciate the spectacular view as I rose above the clouds.

Not long after, I realized I was being caught and then passed by a friendly but ambitious US rider, who introduced himself as Mike. I think his jersey said Human-Powered Cycles. In any case, I hated to seem rude but, out of breath and running low on gas, I couldn't muster more than a muted 'hello'. Mike then set off in the hunt for Bruce and the 'top' position on the day. Having had a less-than-stellar week (getting dropped on most group rides), I was not feeling in the mood for a PB ride but rather wanted to just stay within my limit and not bonk.

I know this climb well, having done it at least four times in the past. I find knowing the landmarks make the final assault of the summit more manageable as it stays pretty consistently around 7% for the last 6k once you pass the 'relief' point of a slight but welcomed descent. That point also marks the end of the shade you get from the pine trees, which gradually grow sparser as you near the summit. Shade not was that important given the cooler temps Friday but was more of a factor when I returned Saturday for another go (and ran out of water). Still, the view is so incredible as you round the last big bend that affords you a panoramic view of the Juan de Fuca. I rolled over the 'finish' as the parking lot begins for the visitors' area in just a hair under an hour. I think Bruce knocked it out of the park in just under 55 minutes. Glad I backed off! :shock: Rhonda also nailed what I think is a PB of 1:01:40. Please correct me if I am wrong, Duane / Rhonda.

All in all, there were about 50 optimistic souls who ferried over and were rewarded by great weather. After a chilly 1/2 hour+ descent, eight of us rolled around Sequim in glorious summer sunshine to clock 140kms for the day. Joe, Kim, Duane, Helen, Kerri, Derek, Chris & Rhonda & I stayed at a very nice little motel in town and enjoyed several delicious meals, plenty of good beer, and several of the most enjoyable rides I have been on in the past few years. The weather was perfect and the rides almost flawless, except that I managed to get dehydrated pretty badly Saturday when I foolishly brought only one bottle for my second ascent after our morning ride. Note to self: bring two whether or not you think you need them. Weight savings are irrelevant if you conk out because you run dry. :idea:

I recommend this as a weekend pilgrimage for future TS planning. We do so much early riding on somewhat tight schedules that it seems logical to throw in some getaways like this. Just make sure you have your passport and around $250 to spare.

http://www.bicycleclimbs.com/ClimbDetai ... limbID=101

R
jeremy

Re: Hurricane Ridge

Post by jeremy »

Current Winter Gloating point amount - 16730 (and counting)
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Great write-up, Ryan. We looked over from the regular Friday ride, and some of us who had planned on going, but didn't (*cough*-Minda?) felt a little smug seeing everything socked-in. Then later the peaks came out and it was easy to imagine Duane's beautiful summit pics of the Nebelmeer.

Bring on BC Day!
Kevin F

Post by Kevin F »

Great write up Ryan. I was a bit scared of the weather but it was actually pretty pleasant. My Garmin said 18.1 at the top as we were leaving. I had a great ride chasing a slightly slower rider from the same team as Mike Neill who Ryan mentioned.

I PB'ed since I was drafting the other rider for 90% of the ride until he and Rhonda dropped me. I Max speed was at a ~3% grade :shock:

Garmin data - Does anyone know how to get the grade data out?
Overall
Time: 01:01:35
Distance: 19.81 km
Elevation Gain: 1,035 m
Calories: 1,250 C
Avg Temperature: 8.4 °C
Timing
Time: 01:01:35
Moving Time: 01:01:33
Elapsed Time: 01:01:35
Avg Speed: 19.3 km/h
Avg Moving Speed: 19.3 km/h