Wanted: Hitch Mount Bike Rack

post all stuff wanted and for sale here

Moderator: mfarnham

Rolf

Wanted: Hitch Mount Bike Rack

Post by Rolf »

I'm looking for a 3- or 4-bike rack that would fit a 1999 Toyota Sienna. I'd prefer a hitch mount that swings down to allow the swing-up tailgate to open.

Checking this one out today: http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified- ... k_15135775

I'd also appreciate any comments from Tripleshotters about racks in general. Any good/bad experiences to share?
Roland

Re: Wanted: Hitch Mount Bike Rack

Post by Roland »

Go with Yakima or Thule, they are expensive, but they are solid and they last. Swagman is decent, but tend to start wobbling after a while. I've also heard Softride is good.

I think racks with a tray that clamp the wheel are better than racks that hold the top tube. Not sure how well the work with kids bikes however. That said, kids bikes are a pain on any rack.
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
wonger

Post by wonger »

I have a Softride that I've used for about four years now. Works great, sits on a parallelogram that you release to tip the rack down thus moving it out of the way of your tailgate. Solid, durable, well designed. Comes with a locking mechanism that secures it to the hitch so no one can carry the rack and bikes away and spend all the time they want to working on your lock. I've had five large mountain bikes on this rack on multiple occasions so space is not an issue. And it was $300 rather than $600 for a Thule.

Things I don't like:
The top tube sits on the arms of the rack so there are two spots on my $4,500 mountain bike where the glow in the dark paint has been rubbed off from sitting on the rack.
There is a cable that comes with the rack that appears to be for locking the bikes to it, but it looks pretty flimsy. I bought one of those huge chains to secure bikes to the rack.
It can be a bit of a geometry exercise to get multiple bikes onto the rack.

I got mine at Oak Bay Bikes though I don't know if they are still carrying them.
arfenarf

Post by arfenarf »

I'm thinking about racks, too.

I am tired of sacrificing the tailgate on my cute-ute to a rack that's a pain to put on and off. I don't have a hitch so can't really put a receiver one on.

There's a Thule four-up roof rack on usedvictoria right now. It takes bikes with both wheels on.

When I was out in Metchosin this weekend, I saw that many folks have a rack that attaches to the forks. Is there a distinct advantage/disadvantage to one style over the other?

I'm tall but not blessed with upper body strength and wonder whether getting a bike onto an X-Trail would be a problem.

Thoughts?
Roland

Post by Roland »

Roof racks are good as long as you don't have underground parking. $250 for 4 Thule racks is a killer deal.

I prefer racks where you don't need to remove a wheel since storage of the wheel can become an issue when traveling with lots of gear. I have two fork mount roof racks and two wheel mount roof racks, the wheel mount are so much less hassle. I've had a bike come off the fork mount rack once, but that was partially user error. With the wheel mount, it's almost impossible to attach the bike incorrectly.

Strength really isn't an issue. I do carry a step stool which makes it slightly easier to get mountain bikes on the roof.

Adding a hitch receiver to an X-Trail would be about $200.
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

One of the reasons I like my old Volvo is putting bikes on the roof. I could probably manage a taller car, but I don't think Joanna could without a step of some kind. We have the same problem with kayaks.

Still, I like roof racks better, especially since BC Ferries removed the over height charge.

I have the wheel-on racks, and they're better for muddy mtb's, cross bikes, or road bike with fenders and flaps. The fork clamp can interfere with that.

But I especially like the convenience of traveling and being able to open the rear tailgate to let the dog out, or get lunch. There are really nice hitch racks that swing out of the way with a finger, but they cost more than my bikes and car put together I think. Not that that's saying much! :)

There are risks: weird tube shapes don't always fit in the jaws of some models. There is a swing arm style that clamps on the tire, but even with a lock on it, thieves can get your bike by deflating the tires unless you have an additional cable lock. I'd go that route though if I was buying again.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Thanks for the comments, guys. I can't go with a roofrack as we've got covered parking with a low ceiling.

I just bought this one for $80. It looks virtually unused. The family is moving tomorrow so was practically giving their garage contents away (picked up a sweet Hello Kitty 7-iron, too! :lol: )

The only part that appeared missing was the lock that secures the rack to the hitch on your car, so nobody can steal the whole rack, locked bikes and all. But I figure it's rare I'd leave the bikes on unattended for long and I may be able to find a replacement part, despite the model being discontinued. (Nevermind the fact our collective family bikes inventory is worth <$500!)

The whole thing tilts down to give my tailgate clearance. So I think I'm happy. I'll let you know how it works on vacation in a couple weeks.