Metchosin Masters Road Race, Sunday

Moderator: mfarnham

Marcus

Metchosin Masters Road Race, Sunday

Post by Marcus »

Ryan C. wrote:
To be clear, racing would be fun as this is a great course (read: humbling) to ride but I am holding to my commitment to support the event from the side of the road to be sure it goes off without a hitch. I may be incorrect in my recollection but I recall this course is somewhat challenging to marshal given the speeds taken through some of the corners and the limitations we have to impede traffic. Conversely, it's an uphill finish after a nasty selection process (Lindholm hill x7) an therefore fairly easy to pick placings.
Peter L. wrote:
I just couldnt tolerate a whole day with only one lonely post! (but kudos to Roland for doing his bit for forum activity levels!)

How can it have been so quiet? 1 week to the tour , there was a hill climb last night - but no reports , National Championships TT went today and WOW!!! ,
This post is for you Peter. It's great to see club members come through as volunteers. Now that Kim and Joe have a race they need RACERS. It would be great if the club could support the volunteers by having more club members come out to race. Last year I went out to volunteer and ended up racing, sort of. I think only 3 other club members signed up to race. I'm going to try again this year. There's nothing like a race for motivation to push on hills and you get to go 60 - 70 kms an hour downhill through S curves 7 times for your efforts. You just need to be at least 30 years of age to race.

Marcus
Roland_Buehler

Re: Metchosin Masters Road Race, Sunday

Post by Roland_Buehler »

Hi Marcus - I'll be there to race. I expect a great deal of suffering at the hands of the 40's group. Last time I rode it in 2009 I was dropped on the steep climb on the first lap. I have a sick feeling the same will occur this time. Oh well - it will be an adventure!

Roland
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

I'll bring my bike and then fill in where ever needed - race or corner flag.

JT
Barry McKee

Post by Barry McKee »

I'm in for the race. I rode a couple of practice laps this morning to check out the hills and corners. Two smallish hills, both short. Lots of downhill with easy corners. The long straightaway when you get back on Rocky Point Road may well be the hardest part. It's long and goes to a max of 5% at the top of the rise. I'm expecting a head wind to boot! Very deceiving and will definitely be a part of the course that will suck the life out of the legs. Looking forward to seeing many TS Spinnakers racers on Sunday.
Greg Miller

Post by Greg Miller »

I am planning on racing, although it may be more like surviving.
Greg Miller

Post by Greg Miller »

I am looking for details on this race. All I see is a noon start and Rocky Pt Road in Metchosin. Does anyone know where the start is on Rocky Pt Road?
mat_baker

Post by mat_baker »

I'm in. Never done one of these before and apparently the younger age groups are supposed to be "faster?" and will be starting behind the others :? ??? Maybe a trip to London Drugs for some frosting to put in my hair tonight. Should be interesting :shock:
Anyone planning on riding out there tomorrow? I would also love a heads up on some more course details.

-m
-m
Roland_Buehler

Post by Roland_Buehler »

Are there any other 40's age group TSers racing tomorrow? I'm hoping that there will be a group of us with similar abilities (ie not able to hang on to people like Steve Bachop). If so, I think we would be wise to stick together on the tough hill and then keep a fast pace line going, rather than get dropped at various points and have to fend for ourselves. Alan C. and I did this back in 2009 and were able to catch some riders as the race went on. We may also have Greg and Matt B. from the 30s group catch us and work with us.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Roland_Buehler wrote:Are there any other 40's age group TSers racing tomorrow? I'm hoping that there will be a group of us with similar abilities (ie not able to hang on to people like Steve Bachop). If so, I think we would be wise to stick together on the tough hill and then keep a fast pace line going, rather than get dropped at various points and have to fend for ourselves. Alan C. and I did this back in 2009 and were able to catch some riders as the race went on. We may also have Greg and Matt B. from the 30s group catch us and work with us.
Cool idea. This is the kind of thing that makes bike racing interesting to me.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Greg asked:
am looking for details on this race. All I see is a noon start and Rocky Pt Road in Metchosin. Does anyone know where the start is on Rocky Pt Road?
Hans Helgesen school is the sign-up and finish location. It's on the left about 1/2 km past Kangaroo Rd. on Rocky Pt. Rd. The start is back down the hill at Kangaroo and Rocky Pt.