Mt Hood adventure

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Dylan J C

Mt Hood adventure

Post by Dylan J C »

So I just left the hospital, there is quite a story here.

Apparently there was a pack crash mid race and I had a good fall. for the most part the bike is fine, I need a new outer chain ring and bar tape, but that is all. My body is another story. I have no recollection of the crash and very little of the race. I remember heading to the race with Nik and warming up before hand, but after the start of the race I have no idea what happened. I have soime flashback of being in the hospital ER and talking to a doctor, but it is pretty unclear. I spent the night in the ICU and as of this morning I am able to retain short term memory. On the plus side my all of my memory from before the start of the race is still fully intact, and the road rash and other damage aside from the head seams to be minimal, the kit is largely undamaged. I will be seeing a neurologist in the near future to be telling me about my immediate future in cycling, it is likely I will not be on a back for at least 6 months, but that is to be determined. I'll be keeping an update with any new information.

Flounder
The day I quit is the day I die, and probably not even then.
wonger

Re: Mt Hood adventure

Post by wonger »

Glad to get the report and hear that you are recovering Flounder.
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

Hope to see you back at full strength as soon as possible Dylan. Until then, take care of yourself.
Quentin

Post by Quentin »

Speedy recovery Dylan; rest well!!!!
RyanC

Post by RyanC »

:shock: Relief! I am glad to hear you're okay, Dylan, rung bell and all. The question now is really whether your mom will ever let you straddle a bike again.

R
Ramsey A

Post by Ramsey A »

It might feel like a challenge for a rider as quick as you, Dylan, but take your time and heal that head of yours. I'm sure that you'll be schooling us on the climbs soon enough!
spearson

Post by spearson »

There will always be a coffee for you, regardless of how you make it to the shop. I hope that you'll come out to the events this summer. 6 mo is only a temporary eternity. Take care.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Very glad to hear you're not worse off, Dylan. When you're drooling and 90 years-old, your bike and your kit will be long lost to the mists of time. But you'll still be doddering about with the same old head. Take good care of it and we'll seeya round (even if just for coffee for a bit).
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Some eerie similarities with a pro who crashed today in Boulder: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/concuss ... ty-classic

You're not alone!
RyanC

Post by RyanC »

Dylan, use this as your computer wallpaper. You look fierce, man! You will be back there and then some in no time!

(Thanks to Duane M for this excellent photo)

R
RussHaysTT-112-X2.jpg
4827north

Post by 4827north »

Take time to heal, soon you'll be back stronger than ever. Thanks for letting us know you're okay and on a path to full recovery.
Brad
brad[at]zedwheels.com
Member #58 1 May 2010 to December 2011
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Hey Dylan. I've been thinking of this one lately, might help you:
That which does not kill us makes us stronger.
Friedrich Nietzsche
On a more practical note, wanna take our wind trainers down to Mocha house and ride in the parking lot until the group gets in? :) Carolyn Gebbie and Jane Victoria could join us. The gimp group. Strictly no-drop tho. :lol:
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
jj12

Post by jj12 »

RyanC wrote:Dylan, use this as your computer wallpaper. You look fierce, man! You will be back there and then some in no time!

(Thanks to Duane M for this excellent photo)
+1

Lister Farrar wrote:
That which does not kill us makes us stronger.
Friedrich Nietzsche
+2
Speedy recovery dylan.
Chris Watt

Post by Chris Watt »

Hey Dylan- I'm pretty sure our first meeting was on that mountain madness ride up to Shawnigan about a month back; you introduced yourself as "120 pounds of pure climbing machine" which I enjoyed immensely and left me chuckling to myself the rest of that looonng ride. And you put deed to word on that final push up the ridge just ahead of Josh. Don't know many others who can do that....

Crappy break but I'm betting you're back sooner than later. Bikes are replaceable but you're down to your last central nervous system so give it the time it needs to recover.

Cheers,
Chris
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

just ahead is a pretty generous wording (for me) of what Dylan did to me on that day.

dropped me like he drops anchor when he drives the bc ferries is more like it
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Dylan J C

Post by Dylan J C »

Good news all around!!!

If I continue to recover along my current path I will return to group riding in 2 weeks (doctor recommended) . Because I haven't been dizzy, nauseas or any of those other nasty head injury side effects I'm well on my way to an incredibly speedy recovery.

On a slightly different note, I was looking up the results for stage one today. Apparently after the crash, I got back on my bike and continued to race with only the small chain ring(the big one was bent) and no cohesive thought, all the way to the finish, coming across the line only 9 minutes back of the leader.
The day I quit is the day I die, and probably not even then.
John D

Post by John D »

Dylan J C wrote:Good news all around!!!

Apparently after the crash, I got back on my bike and continued to race with only the small chain ring(the big one was bent) and no cohesive thought, all the way to the finish, coming across the line only 9 minutes back of the leader.
Hi Dylan;

Um, wow. Not sure what else to say besides...wow! Cohesive thought in play or not, you just re-defined "competitive" in my books (FTR, slightly displacing Roland's recent Bastion Square ride).

Looking forward to seeing you back out there.

Take care,
John
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
M.LeBlanc

Post by M.LeBlanc »

Good to hear you're doing ok Flounder!! I had a concussion to that level a few years back from a mtn bike crash that kept me off the bike for at least 6 months. It's hard but you've gotta make sure you're completely healthy before you come back but I hope your recovery is much quicker than mine. Take care and we'll see you out again before you know it.