What's our plan for the Tour de Victoria 140km?

Organize unscheduled rides

Moderator: mfarnham

John D

What's our plan for the Tour de Victoria 140km?

Post by John D »

I figured I'd start a new thread rather than bury this at the end of the TdV head count thread.

Anyhow, at last count it looks as if at least 15 of us plan on riding the 140km route on Saturday. Are others interested in riding it as a single TS group (along the lines of what we did for the Nanaimo to Victoria ride last summer)? That would certainly be my preference, as it was part of what made the N2V ride so much fun.

If so, we should pick somewhere to meet up beforehand and then arrive together at the start on Bellville Street. Otherwise, with over 1000 people involved in the various route options, it will be hard to locate each other (easter egg costumes notwithstanding). The race starts at 7:00, so presumably we should arrive around 6:30?

Suggestions?

John
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
wonger

Re: What's our plan for the Tour de Victoria 140km?

Post by wonger »

Great idea John. We tend to gather at 6:00 so I'll suggest 6:00 at Cook St. Starbuck's as usual for a Saturday. It's a short hop over to the Parkside for the start.
Dave Spiers

Post by Dave Spiers »

How about Discovery Coffee on Discovery Street?
I thought the start was out front of the Ledge, has it changed to Parkside?
# 9
John D

Post by John D »

The TdV website says that the ride starts/finishes on Bellville Street in front of the Legislature. No mention of Parkside that I can see.

Given a choice, I'd prefer meeting at Discovery over Bucky's, if for no other reason than on principle (is that even allowed here?).

While I'm at it, and as the saying goes, "When you're on thin ice, you might as well dance." So, I propose we consider finding an alternative start for Sunday's ride. Surely there's a nice local coffee shop that's reasonably close to Fairfield where we could mount up? I believe Josh was mentioning a new place that was keen to corner our business?

JD
jj12

Post by jj12 »

Sounds good. Wheres discovery coffee?
wonger

Post by wonger »

Happy to leave the Deathstar behind for a local coffee spot - John you're Julie McCoy on this cruise. You let us know and I'll meet you there at 6:00.
Chris Watt

Post by Chris Watt »

Wow- a "Love Boat" reference on the TS board...man, what were the odds on that?
4827north

Post by 4827north »

Dave Spiers wrote:How about Discovery Coffee on Discovery Street?
I thought the start was out front of the Ledge, has it changed to Parkside?

Discovery opens 6:30 am. Starbucks on Cook St opens at 5:30 am. Major reason we meet there Saturdays. I vote for Cook St bucks.
Brad
brad[at]zedwheels.com
Member #58 1 May 2010 to December 2011
John D

Post by John D »

>Discovery opens 6:30 am. Starbucks on Cook St opens at 5:30 am.
>Major reason we meet there Saturdays. I vote for Cook St bucks.

<Cough> MacDonalds is open 24 hours, but we don't meet there.

Starbucks: -1

JD
4827north

Post by 4827north »

I'm thinking we should be at the start by 6:40 at the latest. Starbucks opens at 5:30. I'll be there early enough to enjoy an americano.
Brad
brad[at]zedwheels.com
jj12

Post by jj12 »

Starbucks it is then.
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

4827north wrote:Discovery opens 6:30 am. Starbucks on Cook St opens at 5:30 am. Major reason we meet there Saturdays. I vote for Cook St bucks.
Serious Coffee Cook St Village is open at 6:00, too late for Sufferfest Saturdays but maybe good for this Saturday.

Both Discovery locations have been used semi-occasionally as good post-Sufferfest recovery locations.

Did anybody go to Spinnakers tonight for the cask of Ryder Hesjedal's Tour de Victoria Summer Ale?!?! There's still time!!!!
esilnarson

Post by esilnarson »

Picked up my race package last night but am now stuck with a Tour de Victoria sign and some zap straps that I don't know what to do with. Did anyone take note of where this is supposed to go? I have the timing chip covered.
Brian E
wonger

Post by wonger »

I'd put it okn your bike, either on the bars or in the triangle.
John D

Post by John D »

Hi all...

So, we've had at least three suggestions on where to meet tomorrow (including one from Sylvan who isn't even in Victoria!). In the interests of keeping it simple, lets' just stick with the original suggestion that we meet at 6:00am at the COOK ST. STARBUCKS, as usual for a Saturday ride.

I'll save all my "crazy talk" about potential non-Bucky's coffee options for another thread. :evil:

Cheers,
John

P.S. The TC reported that Ryder took 4.5 hrs to test-ride the course earlier this week.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

esilnarson wrote:Picked up my race package last night but am now stuck with a Tour de Victoria sign and some zap straps that I don't know what to do with. Did anyone take note of where this is supposed to go? I have the timing chip covered.
Worth checking with the organizers. For Van-Whistler GF they didn't get my time at the line. I strapped mine to the head tube, cuz I have a long one, and having it flapping out front on the cables didn't seem as secure, but I wonder if it may have been semi-hidden.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
esilnarson

Post by esilnarson »

Thanks Lister, I have confirmed with the organizers and mounted it onto the front of my bars.
I'll see all o' y'all at the Starbucks at 6:00 am.
Brian E
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

From the Tour's Facebook page:
Participant bike plates are to be mounted on the FRONT of their handlebars. A bit of confusion down at registration this afternoon where some were being told the back of bike. FRONT FRONT FRONT bars :)
Have a great ride tomorrow Tripleshotters! I'll be rootin' along the waterfront.
4827north

Post by 4827north »

esilnarson wrote:Picked up my race package last night but am now stuck with a Tour de Victoria sign and some zap straps that I don't know what to do with. Did anyone take note of where this is supposed to go? I have the timing chip covered.
They told me behind the seat,,, very silly. Even on the bars very silly...big freaking sail.

If youre OCD : I turned mine into a race plate, photocopied it and sandwiched styrofoam in between and mounted to a holder off my rear brake... Pro tour style. The sticky race chip I strapped under my stem...not onto the head tube .. Thats silly and requires really long zap straps and will scratch the paint. Ride organizers != race organizers.
Attachments
photo.JPG
Brad
brad[at]zedwheels.com