Speedway Introductory Race Series #1

Moderator: mfarnham

RyanC

Speedway Introductory Race Series #1

Post by RyanC »

Great turnout despite inclement weather. Thanks to all volunteers for coming out to support the somewhat shaky start to the series. In particular, thanks to Roland for being the lynch pin and bringing all necessary equipment; Lister for his inspired improvisation of race format; Glenowyn for her all-round help and fab Nanaimo bars, and Jeremy for the use of his mini-cam to help us sort results.

Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves and raced hard. There are some seriously promising young talents rising through the ranks; VCL 'B' racers take note.

R
glenowyn

Re: Speedway Introductory Race Series #1

Post by glenowyn »

Thank you also has to be said to the members of other clubs, Tom, Jamie, Chris, Rhonda, Dave I'm sure there were more, who came out thinking we might not have enough volunteers to pull this race off. Thank you also to Steve Lund for bringing out his Avia West Team which made the race bigger and more competitive. It was great to see the youngest group have the most organized pace line. Hugh's son Griffen who was probably the youngest cyclist, came out at first just to watch, brought his bike out to ride around after the second race and than rode beside Chris in the third race. Dee who found the first race start claustrophobic with all the riders around, yelled at Jamie not to ride in front of her and make it easy and than in the third race became part of a pace line and realized a pace line works and if I catch somebody's wheel I can out sprint the younger girls at the finish.

It was a great venue to race at and a great idea to have ride coaches to help out the other racers
Roland

Post by Roland »

Everything went well, thanks to everybody that came out and helped as well as those who raced. 22 racers, 12 juniors! Another 10 or so helping out. Hopefully we have nicer weather next week, and get an even better turnout.

Racing was great: attacks, counter attacks, gaps being bridged. Only down side is the short track made it very hard to keep track of the results, so no official results this week.

Even with minimal planning, everything went smoothly. Looking forward to next week already.

Photos: http://photos.rabien.com/Road-Cycling/2 ... 32_XPqGKn9
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Big shout out to Roland and Ryan who made this happen. TS tent, tables, registration stuff, lap cards, bell, first aid, it was all there. +1 to Glenowyn who made Nanaimo bars for everyone (Roland: "Last race of the night is..." (groan) ...for Nanaimo bars!" (yay!)

It would also be nice to say TS spirit made it work, which it did, but several other clubs members stepped up as coaches and guides to the newer riders. I don't know all their names, but Trek ProCity's Tom, the Vegn's Dave, IRC's Chris and Rhonda, and Aviawest Vic Cycling Academy's Steve Lund, O2 cycling club's Malcolm (and daughter), (more that I'm missing for sure) as experienced riders all pitched in, filled gaps, got dropped riders to work together or just shared pulls with them, and lead-out ferocious sprints, only to be 'nipped' on the line by 13 year olds. The coaches all pitched in ideas on event type, groupings (boys and girls, a's, b's, c's...or was that b1 and b2?) time gaps, handicaps and distances. We have to keep that flowing because the whole is greater than the sum, fer sure.

While not having a result to post is a bit of a gap cuz everyone wants to see their name in pixels, one thing I learned is that a C race doesn't need to look like a slightly slower B race. Roland's idea to have several shorter races so people can make some mistakes and try again, was bang on. Just need to figure out how to have lots of shorter races, keep everyone moving, AND judge who crosses the line on what lap so we can give 'em credit.

Creative juices were flowing after and team pursuits, fox and hounds games, mega-rider ttt's might all appear in future editions.

Highlight for me was both the 14 year old motor man from Aviawest lapping the strong main group, in happy contrast with Griffin (age 8 ) who went from not bringing his bike into the track, to watching, to taking a lap between races, to jumping into the last race before his Dad knew he had gone.

(Hugh) "Griffin? GRIFFIN? Anyone seen Griffin!?"

(me) "Uhhh, isn't that him on the back of third pace line?"
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
bikehart

Post by bikehart »

That was fun and all I did was watch.

I was a little shocked to see Griffen out on the track in the third race but he looked like he was having fun so I just went with it...If he does it again I will have to put a computer on his bike so we can see if those little legs were really turning over at 140 rpm.

Thanks everyone.
Hugh
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Lister, I had a idea on how to make the races a little less confusing, smaller groups with an roundrobin like tournament, then the best 10 riders can race the last race of the night for the points.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeremymeric ... ature=mhum
Last edited by jeremy on Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

Very awesome work, everybody. It's very beautiful to see this happen successfully after all the planning over the past few months. :D Bummed I can't help out with it. :(
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Thanks Jeremy, and for riding and coaching too.

Sorry, couldn't see the video on this computer.

If by a round robin you mean lots of shorter races, and the top 2 or 3 from each go into a final, that might work for judging. Might not recognize the youngest ones ideally, tho we could have a u14 category for them maybe. I think alternating races of some kind is a good option, once the weather warms up. Last night standing around could have driven some easily chilled riders into their cars.

I'll throw this one out: SuperTrain team pursuit. Half the riders in one team, half in another. Give each team a coach, and a couple laps to practice. Start on opposite sides of the track. The stronger riders do a pace line, the coach rides at the back or door man, the weaker riders sit on, but advise the doorman to crack the whip or pull the reins. Must finish with all riders. Stronger riders get a workout, weaker riders learn to draft, and count in the result. 5ish laps.

Another game could be Designated Sprinter, where we divide up into teams and pick each a 'sprinter' the team has to get to the front. One week it could be masters, another juniors. Gives the strong ones a game to play, weaker riders might feel looked after. Bit more difficult to judge.

One question. How do we tell the super strong kid he's not really a C anymore? Does it matter? he's pretty new, and could do to learn some stuff. The SuperTrain game would help him learn to work with others for eg.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Lister Farrar wrote:Thanks Jeremy, and for riding and coaching too.

Sorry, couldn't see the video on this computer.
Should be working now
Current Winter Gloating point amount - 16730 (and counting)
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

Lister Farrar wrote:One question. How do we tell the super strong kid he's not really a C anymore? Does it matter? he's pretty new, and could do to learn some stuff. The SuperTrain game would help him learn to work with others for eg.
I'd just let him do all these Speedway intro C races for practice and then tell him he's strong enough to do the B races, too.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

sylvan wrote:
Lister Farrar wrote:One question. How do we tell the super strong kid he's not really a C anymore? Does it matter? he's pretty new, and could do to learn some stuff. The SuperTrain game would help him learn to work with others for eg.
I'd just let him do all these Speedway intro C races for practice and then tell him he's strong enough to do the B races, too.
He's already won a B race. His first race. Joel's his name I think.

http://duanebc.com/raceresults2011/VCL% ... 4_3_11.htm

Mt Newton (!) :shock:

But I agree I think he should get to race to figure out the bunch stuff. Mt Newton shows he clearly has the legs. But he needs the other stuff too.

L
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
(Bob Marley)
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

I was mean to Joel at the last Latoria. I pegged his break attempt and later made him work the entire last lap trying to bring back Roland and Kevin. He is massively not a C. I wish I could do Newton tomorrow to give him the chance to return the meanness. :( :D