Caleb Pike April 13

Moderator: mfarnham

Dylan J C

Caleb Pike April 13

Post by Dylan J C »

Well looks like I'm going to have to start the reports on this one...

This was easily the best race I've been in by far. It started out at a super comfortable pace for the first lap but then the attacks started as break-aways were formed and brought back, I tried attacking of the front several times but I was always reeled in rather quickly. The first break to stick had someone from every team (except Tripleshot) so I was left with the responsibility of pulling them back because nobody else had interest in chasing down their own team. Once the break was taken back in nobody wanted to drive the pace off the front end, so with 2 laps to go, I fired off the front end with 2 laps to go and managed to stay away for a full lap. When they caught me my legs were finished and just managed to hold on until the end.
The day I quit is the day I die, and probably not even then.
RyanC

Re: Caleb Pike April 13

Post by RyanC »

That's great news, Dylan. I admire your intiative to take a risk like that. The best part of seemingly doomed kamikaze moves like that is that everyone becomes used to used to you getting reeled back at the last k but you'll just keep getting stronger until one day they won't be able to catch you.

Nice work.

R
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

Attack, attack, attack, pull a break back solo, attack again. Word, brotha!
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

ya man, sounds like to took the race to them.
Nice job.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

Way to go Flounder - You are one hard fish!

Where are the rest of the race reports? We had a great turnout and a few folks in the money looks like the B's ended up in a giant bunch sprint..tell us a story!
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

Well done Dylan,

As a guy who typically hangs with the pack, I have always admired those who take the risks. And, sorry for not mentioning you in my Neild Road hill climb post - fantastic effort there too. More reports?

JT
bikehart

Post by bikehart »

Wow the b race was not as single handed...the pack was big, (35?) and for my first race of the year the pace was manageable.

The good news is that every time there was a break someone from tripleshot was chasing it down. This was not easy on the narrow road Kevin was blocked for most of the back straight before he could chase and I had to push my way to the front to help Matt and Brian real in another.

The bad news is that Steve found himself on the front alone after the last corner without any support.

It was tons of fun but better positioning as a team on the last lap or a team effort to string out the pack would have made a big difference. Kevin and Mat were in the points, John had a great first race and we chased down all the breaks.

I think there were more tripleshot supporter than racers last night thanks for all the shouts of encouragement.

Hugh
jj12

Post by jj12 »

I was very happy with the way the race went although i wasn't very aggressive, i just wanted get a feel for it since it was the first race for me definitely not the last 8). Also i just wanted to see if i could hang on to the pack which was possible. Anyway not much of a report but a couple of more races and i'll get the hang of it. It helps having teammates out there and thanks for the support!
steve

Post by steve »

Big group out of about 30 for the b race and definitely some stronger riders. Short race with only 8 laps and I believe the average speed was somewhere around 34 kmh for the race the As never caught us. Couple of attempts at breaks but nothing stuck. Kevin and I were with a group of 4 others at one point and I thought it might stick but it didn't end up going anywhere. I think if you want to make a break at Caleb, you need a couple of other riders with you and then really bury yourself to get away so that the pack can't see you - maybe some of the more experienced racers can comment about establishing a break.

Not a whole lot of people fell off the pack and with close to thirty people riding as a group, it did get a little sketchy on a few occasions. I got sandwiched going up the hill with three laps to go and fell back in the pack - I got the feeling that it might be a little safer up at the front and moved my way up over the next lap. With one lap to go I was sitting about 10 wheels from the front and things began to speed up around the last corner. I was feeling good and decided to make my way up to the front; looked back and thought the pack had split with the acceleration. I also thought I had Hugh on my wheel but it turned out to be Kevin.

Rather than slip in three wheels back, I accelerated and reached the front of the pack - first mistake. I felt as though I had been guilty of not positioning myself well at the end of previous races and wanted to make a point of putting myself near the front and in contention. Thought to myself "That was easy" - second mistake. I put my head down and started pedaling as hard as I could as I started to move down the hill and had this momentary thought that all I had to do was hammer up the last hill and would have a strong showing, maybe even win the race.

By the time that thought went through my small brain and I started to climb the hill, everyone slingshot by me. I tried to get onto wheels but it was really chaotic. I went from first to twenty first in about 10 seconds.

Pleased with the effort but not the result.... Live and learn.

Great to see all the other TSC riders out there with Matt, Kevin and Hugh all performing well and Brian and John both looking sharp in their first ever races. Dylan, great job sticking in and being aggressive with the A's.

Latoria next week....

Steve
M.LeBlanc

Post by M.LeBlanc »

It was another fun race and a good showing by the TSC. Kevin and Steve definitely spent a good amount of time near the front making a good showing for the team. 2 or 3 laps in there looked to be a bit of a break from some RH and IRC guys and my position in the pack gave me the chance to break with them and Hugh joined in but by the time we got to the last corner everyone was back together. Steve gave me some advice to try and get to the front for each hill climb cause thats where I seem to lose it so I did that for most of the laps and it really helped to put me in position and have a good finish. I thought there was going to be a few more breaks to make for a more open finish which wasn't the case. I started the back stretch about 2/3's back but made my way up behind Kevin's wheel as we made the final sprint. It really started to bunch so I yelled at Kevin to go hoping to stick on his wheel but the young lad(14), who won Newton Hts, made a quick move to the left and slowed me up too much to get a spot. Brian and John had no problem hanging in with the pack but 1st race nerves can add some doubt in your head...as I experienced a few weeks ago.

Overall a clean, fun race and another dose to make the addiction stronger. Nice work guys.
Kevin F

Post by Kevin F »

The race started at a pretty quick pace for me. I keep thinking I have to stay near the front so I did it in this race as well. The sheer size of the pack made it even more of a learning curve but that is what is all about on race 4. I kept having to brake along the back straight before the hill so I decided on lap 4 or something I'd pedal through it. That ended me on the front. So I headed up the hill in my 52-x and started to barely turn the crank at the top....I think I burn a few too many of my big matches on that lap. Matt took the front and I tried to hide and cover a few irc break attempts until lap 7 when I felt better again. on lap 7 I went over the hill in first thinking I would have better luck stringing out the pack. I slowed back down to recover hoping I would get passed and I'd grap a fast wheel and it would be a sprint to the finish in a pace line. One the riders guys came by with such a kick there was not a chance in hell on my best day I could catch him....then the 14 year old came by me. That wheel was the hill to die on. I grabbed his wheel and ignored each of his arm flicks ;) until we got to the right handed off millstream. As we turned the corner I looked back and everyone was nearly back on. So I sat in. I actually got boxed in too much until I saw Steve swing by and pushed wide enough to push to his wheel sort of.... Then it was the bottom on the hill and the final drive to the finish...big kudos to Brian and John in their first race. It was also great to see Hugh and Steve leading the way a few times...I see a few more races for TS for experience and then I think we should be shooting for the podium.

Ps nice showing from Jag in a very team neutral mellow jonny's jersey ;)
Ian

Post by Ian »

Ah man, reading all these awesome race reports makes me wish I could be riding with you guys again. Not many groups down here in Auckland, and the few that do train together ride at the same time as I coach. :(

Keep up the good work folks!