kids road bike wanted

post all stuff wanted and for sale here

Moderator: mfarnham

JohnT

kids road bike wanted

Post by JohnT »

Hi,

Felt make something called the F24. Trek make a KDS1000. There may be more. I am looking for a road bike for Andrew. He's keen to race at the Speedway. Norco make a bike called the Glide, which might be better (upright bars), but it would be great if Andrew could try out a small road bike. So, even if you have one you don't want to sell, maybe you could contact me.

Thanks,

John
jpauly

Re: kids road bike wanted

Post by jpauly »

Hi John I hapen to have a specialized 24" Allez Junior that you could borrow if that would fit him. Let me know. Jim Pauly 8)
4827north

Post by 4827north »

My friend in Edmonton just bought the smallest Trek road bike they make, a Trek 1.2 43cm road bike. Retails for $959. It has 650C wheels and it fits his 8 year old daughter. That might be worth looking into.

-Brad
Brad
brad[at]zedwheels.com
Member #58 1 May 2010 to December 2011
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

Thank,

Oak Bay also have a Specialized 24' road bike (one in a box and a tester hanging from the ceiling). I wasn't aware of the small Trek frame. Andrew and I will try the Specialized and a bike called the "Glide" from Norco (also in stock at Oak Bay).

cheers,

john
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

I just sold Una's kona Jake 24 24" cross bike to Hugh Hart, or you could have had that. I'd recommend a cross bike rather than a road bike. Room for fenders, fatter or skinnier tires if your child is still error prone or wants to go fast, plus they can ride the odd cross event or ride. The jake 24 is no longer made, but they come up on craigslist (I got Una's from Seattle) from time to time.

Redline makes one that is reasonable $6-700 new,and I think Capital City Cycles on Broad (250) 385-1739 is a dealer

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/bikes/cy ... ue[b]st-24[/b]

velonews review of bikes here:
http://www.redlinebicycles.com/news/896 ... onquest-24

edit Capital City Cycles can't get them now, but Fairfield can: 250 381 2453 Takes a week to get one.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

We bought a Norco 'Glide'. Nice and light with thin tires, but with upright bars and grip-shift. Scott (OBB) says we can replace the riser bars with a straight bar for better aero - but Andrew is only about 4' tail, so aero is less of an issue :) He is sooo keen. Heidi will be bringing him to the Speedway races - so sorry I can't be there to help or watch.

Thanks for organizing this,

John
bikehart

Post by bikehart »

BUMP,

Has anyone found a good source for kids CX/road bike?

Griffen rides his Jake 24 to school every day and all his friends are asking their parents for new road bikes. If you have see new or used reasonably priced bikes lately or have had a good experience at a local bike shop please let me know and I will pass it along.

The bikes need to fit kids that are in grade 3, approximately 9 years old.

Thanks
Hugh
Robgrant

Post by Robgrant »

There is a Kona 24" at Russ Hays. I think it is $800.
bikehart wrote:BUMP,

Has anyone found a good source for kids CX/road bike?

Griffen rides his Jake 24 to school every day and all his friends are asking their parents for new road bikes. If you have see new or used reasonably priced bikes lately or have had a good experience at a local bike shop please let me know and I will pass it along.

The bikes need to fit kids that are in grade 3, approximately 9 years old.

Thanks
Hugh
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

This one just turned up on used vic.

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified- ... e_17145166
I've got an obnoxious helmet. It's green.
Krostini

Post by Krostini »

Thanks for the tips folks. Please keep posting used small bikes that you see! I am on the lookout as well and my budget is not generous

Thanks!

Kris
David Hill

Post by David Hill »

I'm also on the lookout for a roadie for a short kid (no, not me!!! :evil: ).

24" wheels, either Cross or roadie. Used preferably (whoever bought that Kona 2-4 is in my bad books :)...

Great to see so many kids coming out (although Lochie Fraser's face-plant isn't a big selling point for fixies).