The Bike Build thread.

Club activities and announcements

Moderator: mfarnham

Josh.E

The Bike Build thread.

Post by Josh.E »

Thought maybe people could post pics of bikes they're building up, working on, etc.

Just finished this one off yesterday for my wife, Barbara. The frame is Sylvan's old cannondale that I got powder coated at Victoria powder coating.
It's my old 9 speed dura ace triple groupo, with a dura ace 11-21 cassette, Aksium race wheels, Ritchey Carbon fork, bontrager racex lite carbon seatpost. In all honesty, the 9 speed dura ace is the best shifting stuff I've ever had, even better than my new SRAM Red.

She took it out for her first ride outside this year yesterday in the sunshine. Saw someone in a tripleshot jersey while she was out.

Next up I'm going to build a commuter/backup summer road bike (and hopefully my barry's roubaix ride) out of the 2300 trek frame from the crashed bike Jeremy scored for $30, and orbea carbon fork, some conti race 25's, and a bunch of utegra stuff I have kicking around.

After that I think I'm going to put some disc brakes (and new wheels) on my cross bike
Attachments
DSCF2716_small.jpg
DSCF2718_small.jpg
DSCF2717_small.jpg
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
jeremy

Re: The Bike Build thread.

Post by jeremy »

Here's my new summer ride, I took my Devinci sliverstone frame and added everything else.
I was trying to make the bike entirely black and white.
Ksyrium wheelset white rims and hubs with black spokes ordered in special from OBB (thanks Scotty)
Ultegra brakes from the crashed Trek I bought for $30 off usedvictoria
Michelin Pro 3 race tires with the stylish white walls
Ultegra 6700 Front cranks 53/39 with ultegra 6700 Bottom bracket
Ultegra 6700 Rear cassette 28-11
Ultegra 6700 front/rear derailuer
Ultegra 6700 STI 10spd shifters
Ultegra Chain
Shimano 105 pedals
I also got some fancy new shoes to go with my new ride - Northwave aerlite

Most of this stuff I ordered off a british website- http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ They were super fast and very cheap, I happened to order while they had all shimano 30% off. Thanks Bryan Esilnarson for telling me about their great deals @ ribble

So now i'm at 3 bikes, maybe a TT bike next??
Attachments
IMG_4214.JPG
IMG_4216.JPG
IMG_4228.JPG
Current Winter Gloating point amount - 16730 (and counting)
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

Josh.E wrote:Just finished this one off yesterday for my wife, Barbara. The frame is Sylvan's old cannondale that I got powder coated at Victoria powder coating.
Wow, cool! Nice work! That makes me happy. That is the exact same frame that was ridden, lamely, to a sullen 9th place finish in the Victoria Cycling League's Latoria Road Race, 'B' group, on May 21, 2003. I went from 1st to 9th in the last 100 metres. That was on the exact same Latoria circuit that returns to the VCL this weekend after a long, lamented absence. Marty Willock was in the pack with me in that race, wearing shorts that probably dated back to his glory years in the 80's. Completely see through in the backside. Good heavens.
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

I've been collecting parts for the last year or so to build up a new bike, I finally bought a new frame a few weeks ago and put it all together.
I scored an Ultegra 6600 cassette, Dura-Ace 7800 shifters and rear derailleur from Brad a while ago. The front derailleur and BB are Ultegra 6700, the crankset is DA 7800, the brakes are 105 5600 and the pedals are 105 5700 ($56 new with cleats from Ribble!) I got the parts from UsedVictoria, Probikekit, Ribble and various shops around town.
As you may notice, I am a bit obsessed with white bike kit. I even spray-painted my handlebars white. The only thing I don't have is a wheelset. I now have 2 bikes but only one set of wheels (Neuvation) which is a hassle as my old bike is 9-speed and the new one is 10-speed. Brad's new company ZED wheels has some nice offerings but I need to stop spending money on bike stuff for a while if I want to preserve my marriage!
I took it out for the first time today and there was a noticeable difference in stiffness and handling in corners compared to my old Argon 18.
Attachments
IMG-20110321-00024.jpg
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

Kevin, you should post your new Cervelo on here. Now that's a sweet build.
EricS

Post by EricS »

Someone on a ride a month or two ago (maybe Josh, or maybe Peter, or maybe Gavin?) mentioned there was a guy in town who works as an automotive painter, but on the side he paints bike frames. I'm getting a bit tired of my dull gray Litespeed, and I'm looking to add some weight (it's 16 years old, and I'm 200lbs, so another 100g won't hurt)

Can anyone help me? I would love to send my bike to Toxic Harold in Vancouver (http://www.toxikdesignlab.com/), but they charge 350 to 500 for a single colour.

Any cheaper local options?

Eric
Eric Simonson
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

EricS wrote:Someone on a ride a month or two ago (maybe Josh, or maybe Peter, or maybe Gavin?) mentioned there was a guy in town who works as an automotive painter, but on the side he paints bike frames. I'm getting a bit tired of my dull gray Litespeed, and I'm looking to add some weight (it's 16 years old, and I'm 200lbs, so another 100g won't hurt)

Can anyone help me? I would love to send my bike to Toxic Harold in Vancouver (http://www.toxikdesignlab.com/), but they charge 350 to 500 for a single colour.

Any cheaper local options?

Eric
Haven't used him but Sarah had a bike painted for Bill, and seemed happy with him.
Jim?
JB Group
3340 Oak Street
250-475-2515
Not sure if he has the blasting capacity for stripping (for already painted bikes), might want to ask.
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
AdamD

Post by AdamD »

We need to determine who has the most pro saddle to bar drop
Adam de Vos
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

AdamD wrote:We need to determine who has the most pro saddle to bar drop
On the IRC ride tonight I was disgusted at how many foreign objects I saw underneath stems. I think I'm going to need to go to a 50 cm frame and a 140 mm stem to get sufficiently pro drop. Oh dear, what's this? Why, it's demon descender and Olympic champion Sammy Sanchez rocking a slammed 140 on his little frame:

Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

I have a 6 1/2 inch drop on my cervelo, but I use a goofy little riser stem to get it UP to that, plus on top of that it's a p2k, it's not even a real road frame, so my "pro" points obviously get taken away for that.
4827north

Post by 4827north »

Stéphane Tran wrote:...Brad's new company ZED wheels has some nice offerings but I need to stop spending money on bike stuff for a while if I want to preserve my marriage!
I took it out for the first time today and there was a noticeable difference in stiffness and handling in corners compared to my old Argon 18.
That looks great! I think it needs a wheelset with white rims, white hub set, with silver spokes, silver nipples... that'd look sweet! Whenever you're ready.
Brad
brad[at]zedwheels.com
Member #58 1 May 2010 to December 2011
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

Josh.E wrote:it's a p2k, it's not even a real road frame...
That's an interesting concept. That's like the Don Gillmore P3 road bike concept. How does this work? Do you have to be a freak of nature to make the angles work?

http://duanebc.smugmug.com/Sports/BC-Ma ... 9umcT-S-LB
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

sylvan wrote:That's like the Don Gillmore P3 road bike concept. How does this work?
I guess it's basically a points race track bike setup with brakes and gears. Makes sense if it's for shortish road races.
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

Hey Brad

Got any suggestions for good disc brake cross hubs?
Kevin F

Post by Kevin F »

Well its nearly complete! I bought the frame and fork off eBay. Most of the parts of ChainReaction in the UK. I will end up replacing the pedals tires and water bottle cages over time. Until I could select and afford wheels, I have been riding it with Brad's borrowed HED Bastones. Brad's timly start up wheel building business made it a no brainer for me. Cool lookin' wheels build by someone I know and trust, light at 1390 grams and by far the best price in town...hmm gee what should I buy...http://www.zedwheels.com/ZedWheels/KevinWheelset.html#8

So onto the build;

2008 61cm Cervelo R3 SL Black
Dura Ace 7900 groupo everything (well accept for 6600 pedals and cassette )
3T doric LTD seat post
Selle Italia Carbonio saddle 125 grams
Shimano Pro Vibe Stem 10 degree 120 mm (should have gone 140) :roll:
Shimano Pro Vibe 42 carbon bars
and of course....
ZED Wheelworks Wheels at 1390ish grams

The whole 61cm with Garmin 500 and speed and cadence sensor is 15.23 lbs. After the new pedals cassette and sans Garmin it will be sub 14.99 lbs :mrgreen:

Big thanks to Brent at Oak Bay Bikes for the sweet assembly. Everything was perfect from day one!

The drop is ~6 inches

Can't wait to see what she can do in a race!
Attachments
R3 SL.jpg
4827north

Post by 4827north »

Josh.E wrote:Hey Brad

Got any suggestions for good disc brake cross hubs?
I've been waiting patiently for Tune and Chris KIng and Alchemy to produce 130mm axle rear ISO disc hubs, but I've not yet seen announcements.

For a lower-end but quality hubset, you could go with the Novatec iso-disc cross hubs. They are available through BDop Cycling. Not particularly light, but the Novatec hubs are well built. http://www.bdopcycling.com/Hubs-CX.asp. Lace them to a set of NoTubes 340 Alphas, which I can get, and they are 355g per rim, building a sweet cross wheelset. Or lace them to tubular rims, of which I'd recommend, KinLIn TB-25 for budget, or if you can find NOS Mavic tubular rims, they'd be good too. If you went 28h Novatec,

I also have access to Reynolds carbon or Enve Composites tubular or clincher carbon for that ultimate cross wheelset. My supplier for the CrossRock CX, the low-cost carbon tubular cross wheelset has let me down. They are backordered for months on the 28h versions. Otherwise, that's an economical choice too.

I'll blast a note to Alchemy to see where they are at with the ISO disc cross hub. Their ORC rear hub is superb. Unfortunately, I don't yet have a dealer account with Chris King. I'm working on it.
Brad
brad[at]zedwheels.com
Member #58 1 May 2010 to December 2011
AdamD

Post by AdamD »

Mines 5.5
Adam de Vos
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

it's not the size that matters Adam....