March 6th Race Team Event - Langley

Moderator: mfarnham

Lister Farrar

Re: March 6th Race Team Event - Langley

Post by Lister Farrar »

John D wrote:>How about we tempo the cross wind straight to split it, and then you jump
>with X after the corner with the tail wind?

Were someone to ask me that during a ride my response would be "Um...huh?"

Seriously though, having decided to ride "C" instead of "Novice" (after Dave Spiers' comments about the types of people who ride novice) I'm pleased that I'll be part of a group. But if I end up riding alone, it will be because I've been dropped not because I made a jump!

Along that line, and perhaps a silly question, but given that the course is pretty flat, what sort of pace might be expected in the "C" group?

John
It's not silly, because novices are often surprised by their first races. I suspect it will seem much jumpier to you than TS rides. Both in the nervous sense, and in the pace sense. In beginner races especially, often anyone that feels good for fifteen seconds sprints away like crazy, everyone chases, catches up, then they all stop pedaling and look at each other. Repeat.

Sometimes late in the race someone can sneak away, ie get a gap too big to close, because everyone is tired from attack-chase-repeat.

I think a good novice strategy is to watch the front (easy to say, but hard to do when you're desperately trying to hold a wheel), stay about a 1/3 back in the pack, try to react early to moves, ie don't wait for the elastic to stretch too far.

If it feels really hard, being 1/3 back means you have room to drop back but still stay in touch. As soon as it eases, work your way forward again.

If you feel good, try to make your moves when it's hard for others to respond; after corners, after hills, after other attacks. Be patient. Think of the first half as softening up the field before you unleash your awesomeness. (Sorry, channeling certain Youtube videos there.)

Expect it to feel really hard sometimes, but tell yourself, it always gets easier. The first 1/4 to 1/2 is often the hardest. Repeat that to yourself when you feel like puking and quitting. :twisted:
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
steve

Post by steve »

Hey Lister,

All your advice is great - I wonder if there is a way to practice the team stuff on a ride? I would love to practice for the coming race season. Split us up in to two or three teams and have at it for a ride?

Steve
Dylan J C

Post by Dylan J C »

Just wondering where I should race, should I race with the novices b's or c's?
The day I quit is the day I die, and probably not even then.
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

You've definitely got the fitness for the B group.

How much race experience do you have? It might be worth doing the C group just to get a feel for pack riding in a race, if this is your first time.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
jj12

Post by jj12 »

Good luck to everyone racing on the weekend!
Lister Farrar

Re:

Post by Lister Farrar »

steve wrote:I wonder if there is a way to practice the team stuff on a ride? I would love to practice for the coming race season. Split us up in to two or three teams and have at it for a ride?

Steve
One way is to pick teams (2, 3?) by colours worn at the start. People wearing some red, vs those wearing blue. (Blood(bag)s vs The Crits? :P )

Take a minute to make a plan before we roll out. The plan could be deliver a designated sprinter (make sure they never have to work, or close a gap). Or soften it up (hammer from the marina?) for the best guy on King George and get him clear. Or just take turns going clear in pairs until something sticks.

A key focus will be being aware who on the team is behind, not just who's in front.

Designated leaders might feel like slackers. They should, until its time to do their thing.

In a race even the pros can't foresee the race, exactly, at the start. You could just plan to see who makes it over KG, feels good, then work for them.

I think it's a nice change to turn yourself inside out to drag someone back on, or close a gap for them, and not just for yourself. I've had some of my most enjoyable rides picking up the back of the group and seeing how many I can gather up and pull closer before the sprint. Hard too. Biggest factor there is the pulled rider quarterbacking properly. Can't be shy.

I'd like to see us split in two one day and each work for one of the junior girls. Not much like their real races, but might be fun, and an incentive for them. Maybe when Brenna's back?
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

So in case you are racing this weekend and DONT check the Race Organizer's site (which everyone racing should do...) there are some rules to be aware of:

SOME SMALL RULES TO REMEMBER:

1. Fenders must be removed for racing at Spring Series.

2. With the exception of the Stage Race crit there will be no free lap rule for mechanicals. If you do suffer a mechanical and sit out a lap you will be allowed to re-enter the race in the main group or any group behind the main group at the discretion of the race organizer. In this situation you will be allowed to finish out the race but not impact the outcome of the race in any way. Should this occur you as well as your entire team/club will be disqualified from that race. This rule will be strictly enforced.

3. Yellow Line Rule

Riders are asked to obey the Centre Line Rule for all Spring Series races. The Centre Line Rule exists for three primary reasons:

A. All competitive sports are governed by a set of rules in order to assure that play is done in a fair way. Cycling is no different. By crossing the centre line in a bicycle race you are creating an unfair advantage over your competitors and it is therefore disallowed.

B. The British Columbia Motor Vehicle Act prohibits cyclists from crossing the centre line. All races are conducted on open roads and we must allow motorists to pass in a safe manner. Our event permits require us to adhere to the Motor Vehicle Act or we will not be granted permits for future events. Don't be the person who gets our permits revoked and cycling events banned from these fantastic rural roads.

C. Most importantly, the safety of all racers should be the primary concern for all attendees of an event. By crossing the centre line a racer is jeopardizing their own safety and that of everyone else in the peloton.

The definition of the centre line rule as it pertains to Escape Velocity run events is as follows: Any rider who voluntarily rides on the left side of the centre line in order to gain advantage is in violation of the centre line rule. The only times that is it acceptable to break this rule is when entering and exiting corners, or when a rider is pushed over the centre line by riders beside them (and re-enters without gaining advantage).

In order to prevent and police any further offences the following actions have been taken:

Commissaires from Cycling British Columbia will be present at Spring Series events to help enforce violations.

If you are observed violating the centre line rule you will be pulled from the race and receive a Yellow Card. A Yellow Card may also be issued if multiple riders state that one individual has crossed broken the centre line rule. If a rider with a Yellow Card is observed to violate the centre line rule they will be expelled from all remaining Spring Series races.
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

Anybody know the number of laps for the different divisions?
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Plawless

Post by Plawless »

Lap Distance- 6.2km
A laps/dist 17/105km
B laps/dist 13/80km
C laps/dist 9/56km
Novice laps/dist 5/31km
Youth laps/dist 4/25km

For the laps etc for all the Spring Series see: https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key ... utput=html
John D

Post by John D »

Went out to Langley for Escape Velocity's "Learn to Race" workshop this morning. There was just me and one other guy. Guess there wasn't enough interest, so they canceled it...although there was nothing on their website about it.

Since I was there anyhow, I did 5 laps around the box. It's very....rectangular and flat. The only dodgy bit is the right turn from 84th to 252nd...some loose gravel and a good sized hole right in the middle of the choice line through the corner.

J.
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley
AdamD

Post by AdamD »

Whats the weather like there now? Are the roads dry?
Adam de Vos
John D

Post by John D »

It's a dry and sunny 8C here now...supposed to get down to 1C by tomorrow morning, but at least there's no precip called for.

J.
"Talk - Action = Zero" - Joe Keithley