Rainy Feb 4th

Moderator: mfarnham

Roland

Rainy Feb 4th

Post by Roland »

So far today there has been 10.9mm of rain, 7.3mm of that rain fell between 6:00am and 7:15am

I got rather wet, so I went home.
compete: 1620, from Fr. compéter "be in rivalry with"
AlW

Re: Rainy Feb 4th

Post by AlW »

The wait in Mt. Doug park finished me off (so cold, so terrible, as Sylvan would say). Home was 3 minutes away, so I decided I was going to bail . By the time we got on Grandview I started to reconsider. Then I dropped my chain. This was a sign which could not be ignored, so I went home.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

The B's were spirited and stuck together, for the most part. There appeared to be plenty of storm drains that couldn't handle the flow, resulting in quite a bit of water on the road. I felt like I was riding up a waterfall on Ash. The conditions revealed crapflap deficiencies in some quarters. There were definitely a couple of folks nobody wanted to ride behind! :shock:

I thought it was freakin' sick (am I saying that right? :wink:) to see Bow, Alex and Liam out. I don't know where the drive to get up so early as a teenager and ride in the pishing rain with a bunch of (mostly) old dudes comes from, but I take my helmet off. Your pulling was great, too. It was sometimes a challenge to get the speed right as there were a lot of Steady-ups with the large, diverse group. But you guys managed it well.
Lister Farrar

Post by Lister Farrar »

Yes, another ride with enough water for a bow wave. (That's the nautical version; not the same as being friendly to Bow.)

Gotta say a thank you to TS et al for Liam's bike, finally together. It has pieces from:
  • frame (and cranks, seat post, stem, front der.) that Greg brought back from a Vancouver craigs list deal
    bars from Quentin (I still owe you for these Quentin, they're one of the last parts left from Brian's Frankenbike, and I took a liberty since all my bars didn't fit the stem)
    shifters and derailleur from Uncle Tim in Atlanta (rest of that bike (frame too small now for sport riding) is now a single speed)
    Wheels from Ramsey (Hey Ramsey, you know those unusually coloured rims are the same colour as the frame? Kinda bronze-y titanium. An unlikely aesthetic coup. )
    saddle from Santa via Bicycleitis
    pedals from ? (1 sided no-name spds)
    brakes from my touring/cross bike, (until I find some for Liam)
    All the little bits from Fairfield
    gold cable casing (Liam's request), from Capital City (free, it was a take-off another bike), where Josh told me to look
    Shimano mtb shoes and rain jacket from Rob Britton's garage sale
    clothes from TS
total investment, about $450-500

Having Liam say 'that was fun'. Priceless
Lister
"We're jammin', jammin',
And I hope you like jammin', too."
(Bob Marley)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QdwYY9rZL4
steve

Post by steve »

I only had time for a 1/2 ride today bot noticed that Liam was right beside me at the crest of Ash. Between Adam, Dylan, Bow, Alex, Liam and brenna, we have some serious potential! Great motivation for us old guys to train hard.
Quentin

Post by Quentin »

Woke up, checked the weather, went back to bed.

You people are crazy!
JohnT

Post by JohnT »

Very impressive you guys. I beat Quentin! Got as far as the front steps. Being 5 min away, I hadn't left the drive before the downpour started. Turned around, went back to bed.

JT
Josh.E

Post by Josh.E »

Similar for me.....
I beat Quentin too! Got as far as the front steps. Being 5 min away, I hadn't left the drive before the downpour started. Turned around, went back to grab my rain jacket, got my bike, went riding.

You almost had it there John. :wink:

Josh
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Stéphane Tran

Post by Stéphane Tran »

Of course I get 2 flats on what seemed like the rainiest day of the year. Thanks for all for waiting, but I had to bail by UVic because I no longer trusted my front tire. I got a 3rd flat at work when my bike was just sitting in the storage closet at work. Must be something in the tire dammit. Greg, (I think it was you, it was hard to see through the rain) I owe you a tube and a CO2 cartridge.
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

John made it a little further than I did - opened the door, put one foot out, backed in, went back to bed..........